Tolerance of using ListItem.setInfo()
Still many authors in their vido addons use the outdated python library method ListItem.setInfo() instead of the InfoTagVideo. It is easy to see in the Kodi log, where the occurrence of the following warning is still quite frequent.

warning <general>: Setting most video properties through ListItem.setInfo() is deprecated and might be removed in future Kodi versions. Please use the respective setter in InfoTagVideo.

I wonder how long the possibility of using the ListItem.setInfo() method will be tolerated, or when "day D" will occur, from which all addons that still use it will stop working. Is this planned since Kodi version 22 or even later?
(2024-05-10, 01:05)JiRo Wrote: Still many authors in their vido addons use the outdated python library method ListItem.setInfo() instead of the InfoTagVideo. It is easy to see in the Kodi log, where the occurrence of the following warning is still quite frequent.

warning <general>: Setting most video properties through ListItem.setInfo() is deprecated and might be removed in future Kodi versions. Please use the respective setter in InfoTagVideo.

I wonder how long the possibility of using the ListItem.setInfo() method will be tolerated, or when "day D" will occur, from which all addons that still use it will stop working. Is this planned since Kodi version 22 or even later?

I've not seen any official announcement but here's a developer thread I started regarding the topic.

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
Thanks for the reply, Jeff.

I know and have read the linked thread. There is interesting and important information from the point of view of the progress of related changes to the add-ons. However, my motivation relates to another aspect of the problem.

I am a member of the local Kodi community, where we have our own unofficial repository, and I would like to convince addon authors to address this issue. Our Kodi logs are full of warnings and I'm already annoyed that no author solving it. So I wanted to know some official deadline for the end of tolerance.

We've experienced this a few times in the past, and it always ended in panic when a significant number of add-ons stopped working with the arrival of a new major version of Kodi. Paradoxically, people curse the Kodi team and not the add-on authors and do not want to switch to the new major version. And on top of that, they then complain that they don't have its new functions available and want the authors to implement them into the older ones. A terrible situation... And I would like to avoid that in the future.

Ok, so I'll wait to see if there's any discussion around this topic that shows when the tolerance ends. So apparently we still have some time to edit the add-ons.

Thanks again.

JiRo
I am with you on this, getting an early start on the problem.  This is why I started the thread.  I think script tool created by @jurialmunkey will help some developers and ease the burden, to your point a push is still needed for many developers.  Otherwise, as you indicate, a number of addons will break when support ceases for the setinfo method.  The good news is that developers have plenty of support to assist them.

Thanks,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
Thread moved to addon development
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tolerance of using ListItem.setInfo()0