Solved Keyboard issue when KODI is running (WIN10)
Perhaps someone knows ho to solve this.
When KODI is running (independent from minimized or not) then often keypresses are multiplied. Instead of the wanted word 'test' I suddenly see 'teeeeeeeeeeeest' or something else like this.
I see this issue since a long time (at least since Matrix). Not a big issue - except when writing in the KODI forum, because then the KODI client is needed to create logs or get other detail infos from the client.
Any ideas ?

Thanks Gregor
Nothing is placed into a Kodi 'requester' unless the program is in focus and window active, so I'm not sure about where you suddenly see 'teeeeeeeeeeeest'. But in main keyboards have what is called a bounce time, milli second delays to accommodate the average variegates in a key press and is a hardware concern. Depending on code priorities and hardware cycles, sometimes a hold on key press routines will queue up a key press, this may be adjustable given some keyboard control software. Suggest changing the key press priorities might be the solve. If you want to pursue this, a proper debug log showing the issue would be helpful.
Thanks for your answer.
I forgot to mention that the issue occurs inside other app like browser, notepad++ or other apps where text can be written.
I did not think about looking into the KODI log because I don't do anythig in KODI when the issue occurs. Kodi is just running idle (minimized or normal window).
Just  now I opend KODI and may be the issue occurs while I am writing here into the Forum ,so waitiiiiiiiiiiing ! AHH here itttttttttt is already happening.
I need to close KODI to continue writing, but before that I checked the debug log and looks quite normal.
(2024-05-07, 10:48)gregorv Wrote: forgot to mention that the issue occurs inside other app like browser, notepad++ or other apps where text can be written.
Yes definitely sounds like a hardware key bounce issue, fix might be possible in the o/s registry. backup your registry before doing this or at least back up the values so you can roll it back if it isn't doing what you want it to do.

You could use the "Filter Keys" feature in the Ease of Access center to speed it up. Go into regedit.exe navigate down to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility\Keyboard Response and update your values. Reboot for the changes to be seen.

Code:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility\Keyboard Response]
"AutoRepeatDelay"="200"
"AutoRepeatRate"="6"
"DelayBeforeAcceptance"="0"
"Flags"="59"
"BounceTime"="0"

Perhaps try a different keyboard?
That was the right idea !
While the registry changes brought no better result, I digged through the windows settings and hidden under 'Erleichterte Bedienung->Tastatur' (Ease of Access Control panel->keyboard ??) I found settings that work.
This is what I changed:
settings:
Enable "Aktivieren Sie die Wiederholungstasten, um wiederholte Tastenanschläge beim Gedrückthalten einer Taste zu verzögern"
and select time delays into the two appearig fields, I selected  0.7 sec for boths
This does not really solve the issue but it is much better now - occasionally only duplicates -  will play a little with this settings.
By the way while testing, I have seen, that immediately before the issue appears the keyboard input is delayed by about 2 seconds and after that the letters (that were typed in the meantime) appear.
This 'freezes' did not change and I only see  these, when KODI is running. And by the way, the registry changes were set to  the old values after changing the keboard above settings.
The PC is a Nitro notebook with Core I5, SSD and 32GB Ram so, should be fast enough and I also have seen this on another PC (faster CPU, but only 16GB Ram) with WIN10 and also with WIN7 some years ago.
For me this is not really an issue because KODI is rarely runnig on the PC (only when managing the movie database or when there are thrilling news on TV.  Anyhow this may point to a long existing issue because this happens only when KODI is started and with no other apps - even if 15 avidemux session are simulateously converting recorded Tatort movies from MPEG to h264 - which is really  stessing CPU.
Something else also looks interesting: I tried to look into the live logs to check if something happens, when the 'freeze' appears using wintail (I use that from time to time for my work without ever seen it not working). For kodi.log this does not work (shows the end of the log and and stops  though new lines  are written) when opening the log with notepad++, wintail scrolls down to the new last line. (tried two older releases and also downloaded the latest WinTail-2.3.1.0-portable.exe) would be really interesting, what KODI is doing when the keyboard freezes.

Thanks for your help and if you think this should  be investigated, feel free to contact me. I can reproduce this any time.
Gregor
Has the feel of keyboard chip issues or handshake between, but it looks like you've discovered some work-round.

Thread marked solved for now, if I come across some information in the future, I'll let you know.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Keyboard issue when KODI is running (WIN10)0