Issues Returning from Music Playlists
Can someone tell me if this is an issue with Aeon Nox: Silvo, or with Kodi 19.1, or maybe I just don't have things configured correctly? I'm having trouble finding relevant posts in the forums, mainly because I don't know the exact terminology to use for search terms. I'm asking in this forum because I thought it might be related to the menu change I made with this skin.

I'm using Aeon Nox: Silvo so I can add a music playlist submenu to the music item on the main menu. I have the playlist submenu change action set to ActivateWindow(music,special://musicplaylists/,return). Using the new menu item to get to the playlists works fine. I can select the playlist submenu under Music, then select a music playlist (standard m3u playlist, not a smart playlist) to see and play the songs without issue.

But when I try to back out of the playlist, I get unexpected results. When I'm on the screen showing the songs in the playlist, and press the back button, instead of going back to the list of playlists that I came from, it goes to a screen showing a list of library items (Genres, Artists, Albums, Songs, etc). If I scroll down and select Playlists, it takes me back to the music playlists screen I was expecting originally when I hit the back button.

Then everything works fine, going back and forth between the playlists screen and individual playlists, until I go back to the main menu. After that, if I go back into the music playlists screen, open a playlist, and hit the back button, it again goes to the list of library items, and I have to select Playlists again to get back to the music playlists screen.

Is this a known issue, just the way Kodi works, or could I be doing something wrong here?

System Details:
  Kodi 19.1 Matrix (LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-9.97.1)
  Raspberry Pi 4B 8GB
  Music library on SMB network share
(2021-08-22, 00:14)mbone Wrote: it goes to a screen showing a list of library items (Genres, Artists, Albums, Songs, etc). If I scroll down and select Playlists, it takes me back to the music playlists screen I was expecting originally when I hit the back button.
I also experience that with Video playlists. When I back out of one playlist to look at another playlist I end up a level too high and have to scroll back down to Playlists again.
But it only happens the first time. Once you re-enter the Playlist menu, then you stay there

I have never checked if it is only with Aeon Nox Silvo or with other skins also. I have a suspicion it may be a Kodi issue rather than a skin issue. Have you checked if it occurs in other skins?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2021-08-22, 00:59)Karellen Wrote:
(2021-08-22, 00:14)mbone Wrote: it goes to a screen showing a list of library items (Genres, Artists, Albums, Songs, etc). If I scroll down and select Playlists, it takes me back to the music playlists screen I was expecting originally when I hit the back button.
I also experience that with Video playlists. When I back out of one playlist to look at another playlist I end up a level too high and have to scroll back down to Playlists again.
But it only happens the first time. Once you re-enter the Playlist menu, then you stay there

I have never checked if it is only with Aeon Nox Silvo or with other skins also. I have a suspicion it may be a Kodi issue rather than a skin issue. Have you checked if it occurs in other skins?
When you go back to the main menu, does the issue start over again, and require you to scroll back down to Playlists again the first time returning from a playlist?

I haven't tried other skins. The default skin won't let me add the Playlist submenu, so I can't fully test for this issue. I chose Aeon Nox: Silvo because it allows me to add menu items.
(2021-08-22, 05:09)mbone Wrote: When you go back to the main menu, does the issue start over again, and require you to scroll back down to Playlists again the first time returning from a playlist?
No. It navigates correctly after the first time. But after a restart of Kodi it happens again. And there must also be a time interval where it resets as my Kodi runs 24/7 and I come across it often. I guess it resets after x hours.

I just tested two other skins and the same thing happens.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2021-08-22, 10:02)Karellen Wrote:
(2021-08-22, 05:09)mbone Wrote: When you go back to the main menu, does the issue start over again, and require you to scroll back down to Playlists again the first time returning from a playlist?
No. It navigates correctly after the first time. But after a restart of Kodi it happens again. And there must also be a time interval where it resets as my Kodi runs 24/7 and I come across it often. I guess it resets after x hours.

I just tested two other skins and the same thing happens.
Thanks for verifying this happens on other skins. I'll look for a more general Kodi forum to discuss this and see if there are any solutions.
(2021-08-22, 16:09)mbone Wrote: Thanks for verifying this happens on other skins. I'll look for a more general Kodi forum to discuss this and see if there are any solutions.
Don't create a new thread. I will move this to the appropriate area. OS/Independent for now.
My Signature
I think that is an expected consequence of using the [return] param in ActivateWindow() in the skin code.  The return sets [] on the window stack so when you back out of the playlist you get to the main music library node.  Then when you navigate to playlists (via library, rather than the skin ActivateWindow()), there isn't an implicit "return" so the navigation stack music -> musicplaylists->playlist file is kept.  If you edit out the "return" in the ActivateWindow() in your skin I think you see the same thing.

scott s.
(2021-08-23, 05:25)scott967 Wrote: I think that is an expected consequence of using the [return] param in ActivateWindow() in the skin code.  The return sets [] on the window stack so when you back out of the playlist you get to the main music library node.  Then when you navigate to playlists (via library, rather than the skin ActivateWindow()), there isn't an implicit "return" so the navigation stack music -> musicplaylists->playlist file is kept.  If you edit out the "return" in the ActivateWindow() in your skin I think you see the same thing.

scott s.
I changed the Music > Playlist submenu change action to ActivateWindow(music,special://musicplaylists/,). Now it correctly returns from a playlist to the Playlists screen, but this caused another change in behavior. Hitting the back button from the Playlists screen takes me to the main music library node instead of back to the main menu like it did before. I have to hit back a second time to get to the main menu. Any ideas on how to make it go directly back to the main menu?
(2021-08-24, 01:04)mbone Wrote:
(2021-08-23, 05:25)scott967 Wrote: I think that is an expected consequence of using the [return] param in ActivateWindow() in the skin code.  The return sets [] on the window stack so when you back out of the playlist you get to the main music library node.  Then when you navigate to playlists (via library, rather than the skin ActivateWindow()), there isn't an implicit "return" so the navigation stack music -> musicplaylists->playlist file is kept.  If you edit out the "return" in the ActivateWindow() in your skin I think you see the same thing.

scott s.
I changed the Music > Playlist submenu change action to ActivateWindow(music,special://musicplaylists/,). Now it correctly returns from a playlist to the Playlists screen, but this caused another change in behavior. Hitting the back button from the Playlists screen takes me to the main music library node instead of back to the main menu like it did before. I have to hit back a second time to get to the main menu. Any ideas on how to make it go directly back to the main menu?

I don't think there is any other way to navigate, sorry.

scott s.
(2021-08-24, 23:38)scott967 Wrote:
(2021-08-24, 01:04)mbone Wrote:

scott s.

I don't think there is any other way to navigate, sorry.

scott s.
Thanks for the help. Can that be changed in Kodi in the future? Just about every software app and browser takes the exact reverse of the path travelled when using the back button, so people naturally have that expectation. Kodi does amazing things, but it  seems troubling that something this basic doesn't behave the way most people expect. Might be just a minor annoyance for me, but I think it would be confusing to explain how this works to less technical people in my home.
That how it should work.

So structure

A. Home menu
B. Music nodes (Genre. Artists, Albums, Playlists, Files, etc)
C. Playlists (smart & m3u playlists)
D. Playlist content

So if starting from A then going to C with return set then you list of playlists, you can enter D to see content of playlist (songs), when you go Back it should return to C (NOT to level B as is happening for playlists) and then Back to A, so Kodi remembers the navigation stack and simply returns along it.

However if starting from A then going to C without return set, then you can enter D as before, then when you go Back it will be to level C, then B, and then A, so it ignore the navigation history and simply goes back up through the whole hierarchy.

This only seems to be an issue with Playlists, as if you go from A to C where C is Albums, then you can enter level D for songs (album content) then Back does return you to C for Album listing, so here it returns correctly up 1 level and not the incorrect 2 levels that playlists does.
(2021-08-25, 12:55)jjd-uk Wrote: That how it should work.

So structure

A. Home menu
B. Music nodes (Genre. Artists, Albums, Playlists, Files, etc)
C. Playlists (smart & m3u playlists)
D. Playlist content

So if starting from A then going to C with return set then you list of playlists, you can enter D to see content of playlist (songs), when you go Back it should return to C (NOT to level B as is happening for playlists) and then Back to A, so Kodi remembers the navigation stack and simply returns along it.

However if starting from A then going to C without return set, then you can enter D as before, then when you go Back it will be to level C, then B, and then A, so it ignore the navigation history and simply goes back up through the whole hierarchy.

This only seems to be an issue with Playlists, as if you go from A to C where C is Albums, then you can enter level D for songs (album content) then Back does return you to C for Album listing, so here it returns correctly up 1 level and not the incorrect 2 levels that playlists does.
If it works like you say it should in the first paragraph with return set, going from A > C > D, then backwards from D > C > A, then I think that would be exactly what I'm looking for. I was struggling to find a way to explain this issue. You laid it out in a way that's making it easier.

Do I need to do something formal to submit this as an issue?
Yes as I believe it to be a bug for Playlists node as A, C, D then D, C, A is how it works for everything else you can navigate to Genres, Artists, Albums etc etc.
(2021-08-26, 01:30)jjd-uk Wrote: Yes as I believe it to be a bug for Playlists node as A, C, D then D, C, A is how it works for everything else you can navigate to Genres, Artists, Albums etc etc.

This has been submitted on github as issue #20134.
Quote:This has been submitted on github as issue #20134.
I think this has not yet been fixed. Any idea how to promote getting this fixed before Omega stable release?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Issues Returning from Music Playlists0