Release New Music Videos manager
Video 
Kodi NFO Music Videos
Howdy!

I have developed a complete rewrite of the tool I first discussed in 356611 (thread) now as an Electron App. It is fully open source.

New Release 1.1.0 as of 2024-04-30
Windows Portable
Download Link

Full source available here: https://github.com/clubside/KodiNFOMusicVideos

Update 1.1.0
This is a minor update.
  • Provider bug fixes
  • New widescreen layout for Video editor
  • New Video options:
    • Compact view renders as tiles
    • Extended Info to turn off showing fields other than Artists and Title
  • Miscellaneous optimizations
Features
Create and Edit Kodi NFO files for Music Videos collection.
  • Scans your music video media folder for video files and associated .nfo and artwork.
  • Displays a list of the music videos with a summary of the available metadata and artwork.
  • List can be filtered by metadata and artwork as well as searches with file names, artists and title.
  • Individual videos can have their metadata and artwork edited.
  • Parse artists and title from file name including automatic stripping of extraneous information like '(Official Music Video)'.
  • Inline video player for .mp4 and .webm files. Both .mkv and .avi extensions are supported but will only display if using codecs supported by browsers.
  • Lookup panel feature scans various information providers with links to the asscoiated page:
    • IMDb.com for title, premiere date and actors. If no exact match is found a list of potentials is presented.
    • IMVDb.com for artists, title, premiere date, directors, actors and fan art. If no exact match is found a list of potentials is presented.
    • MusicBrainz.org for artists, title, premiere date, album, genres, studios and thumbnail.
    • TheAudioDB.com for artists, title, album, genres, directors, studios, plot, thumbnail, CD art, clear logo, clear art, artist thumbnail, banner, landscape and fan art.
    • Wikipedia.org for artists, title, premiere date, album, genres, studios, plot, thumbnail and fan art.
    • Fanart.tv will be included if a MusicBrainz match is found. Artwork can include thumbnail, CD art, clear logo, clear art, artist thumbnail and fan art.
  • Add artwork by browsing the local file system, drag-and-drop from local file system, drag-and-drop from web page and drag-and-drop from lookup panel or any web page.
  • Unlimited fan art with add and remove buttons.
  • Remove existing artwork.
  • Context menu on video can save current frame to artwork including auto-creating new fan art slots.
  • Zoom any piece of artwork to the full window.
  • Rename music video file and the associated .nfo and artwork.
  • Light and dark interfaces.

The Roadmap includes automatic scan of entire library with a variety of options for preferred sources of each field and various image viewing and editing capabilities.

Preview

Screenshots
Video list

Dark Mode

Filter panel

Editor with Lookup panel

Definitely want to do more in supporting Kodi and the Music Videos section so suggestions and feedback are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris
Interesting, but since it doesn't recursively scan subfolders kind of a non-starter for me.  I have 2 MV source folders, and each is organized with artist and album subfolders.   I think that is not unusual?

scott s.
According to the documentation it doesn't support sub-folders:

"All music videos should be in a single folder named exactly as the above examples"

https://kodi.wiki/view/Music_videos

If that's not the case I'm happy to support sub-folders or even multiple folders if that's a workaround.

What would be preferable, allowing multiple source folders, or using sub-folders on the belief that users with multiple folders set as type musicvideo would organize them that way, or both?

Would you still like a single list that abstracts the folder or would you like to see a filter for the folder and the ability to move files between folders?
As Music videos don't get a lot of attention around here, many thanks for taking the time to build a tool that would help with this type of content!

That being said, the wiki guidelines (ref file/folder structure) - I feel like those are pretty dated, and while they may work, they can also run into issues for various reasons.

I.e. Let's put all files in a folder. In my case, the videos (what I call music videos; I debated more on the subject here https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=353610), the art, the nfo's, the whatever would have a total close to 30,000 files. Does anybody want to speculate what would happen with various programs (and Kodi running on underpowered HW) when trying to enumerate items in that folder? Or Kodi trying to compute the total time for all vids, because various skins borrow needlessly features from the music section when they shouldn't? Not a pretty sight.

So yeah, I vote for subfolders support too.

Ref your last two questions I would use the existing folder/file names structure to compute metadata (and (re)write filenames if need be). But if we're talking about moving files and creating folders aka a complete organizing tool that's a whole different endeavor. Some may want it but me personally I would not look for it right away (I would need more granular control to define paths).

And I have a question for the features and sources listed under lookup panel: are your sure you are getting the correct info? What I'm saying is that it may not be that easy. For example, from where would you get the music video's premiere date from wikipedia?
Hey Daydream,

Thanks so much for your feedback. I will add sub-directory support after I finish the scanner hopefully tomorrow or the next day. My test library is around 150 videos all with the filenames take. Directly from YouTube so while I have an Artists/Title extractor it will fail on a number of the videos in my collection and I’m still deciding how best to report those results. I am also still debating how best to provide the interface for preferred providers for each piece of metadata and artwork. And I hope to provide an option to automatically grab stills as fanart from the video in addition to those from the providers.

As for your comment on reliability of data we all have to know that these sources are focused on albums and songs not music videos. Even IMVDb (which has had its search both on their site and API offline going on 2 days as I type this) is unreliable for anything before the 2000s. I’ve found IMDb is the best source for older videos but they are far from complete. Currently I search each provider based on the Artists/Title. This works well for everyone but MusicBrainz where I have to cull the results. My decisions here are definitely up for debate as after finding the song I then walk up to what they call a release-group to get artwork and genres since they’re more likely to be there than a particular song’s release country version. The debate is whether to search for “singles” and use that info primarily, looking up the source release-group for supplementary and missing data. The MusicBrainz release-group ID is also how I access Fanart.tv.

The plan is for each field to have the option of don’t fill, or fill from providers in this order. If you or anyone else has other ideas they are very welcome.

The end game of this project is certainly a personal one. My collection is focused on the videos I remember as an old 😛 and barely 10% are picked up by TheAudioDB, the only Kodi scraper I’m aware of. I wanted to push a button and get my library fully filled in and then ho back and tweak where necessary. But I definitely want to give back to the community for all it has given me over the years.
Thanks! This looks useful!
What about reading tags from the musicvideo files? Eg .mp4 and .mkv
No idea if people tag the files, but for me it would certainly be a nice addition.
Just a FYI.  Chrome on my win11 system flags this file as suspicious.
YOYIZDERZOMENEMOHOZEZAZEZDENDERIZHOZEZ
(2024-05-01, 16:41)Sylfest Wrote: Thanks! This looks useful!
No idea if people tag the files, but for me it would certainly be a nice addition.

I can certainly look into it. I know exiftool can read all tags but that might be a hammer, I’ll look for something more lightweight that is native JS.

(2024-05-01, 17:26)bobrap Wrote: Just a FYI.  Chrome on my win11 system flags this file as suspicious.

The executable from GitHub? I’ll try it on one of my other machines but I don’t know why it’s built with only public verified tools like Electron and electron-builder. Maybe if I put it in a .zip instead?
(2024-05-01, 16:41)Sylfest Wrote: Thanks! This looks useful!

I use Media Monkey v4 for managing tags.  It provides full support for Apple-style tags in m4a/mp4 files.  All my music videos are mp4 and are fully tagged (these are all "song" music videos, not "concerts").  When Kodi tag reading was created for mp4, I tried to get the most useful tags included, so if you turn on video tag reading in Kodi you should be able to get good results.  But I also did a Media Monkey script to create a full musicvideo.nfo file so that's what I use in scanning music videos.

scott s.
Quote:I use Media Monkey v4 for managing tags.  It provides full support for Apple-style tags in m4a/mp4 files. 

Would that work with mkv as well? My musicvideos are mostly mp4 but many of them is mkv beacuse multiple audiostreams and some that just dont work to convert to mp4.

Robert
Just a quick heads up, there will be a slight delay on the full library scan version. Still have to work out some UI stuff for the settings but more importantly I’m rewriting my MusicBrainz provider to return details from both the album and the single as most music videos are borne from singles. I’ve run into a glitch with the data I’m working through with the very helpful MusicBrainz people. I also hit a situation that I’ve now fixed where a single was never released on a traditional album, only a compilation. Hopefully with this new code people that prefer thumbnails from the single will have that option when one is available.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Music Videos manager0