Kodi V21 on LG C3 TV no DTS sound
Hello,
I installed Kodi V21 yesterday via the WebOS dev manager. The app is working fine on my LG C3 TV. I have set everything to passthrough for audio, but I can only select Dolby Digital and not DTS or similar because they are not listed. I also have Plex on my LG, and DTS works there. Does anyone have an idea how to solve this?
(2024-04-10, 13:36)yep123 Wrote: I have set everything to passthrough for audio
At this point Kodi just hands off all audio to the device attached to let some other hardware handle audio. From the sounds of it, the TV doesn't have built in capabilities for some audio codes.  Suggest DirectSound default allowing the decode to be local with the o/s and see what that does for you.
WebOS Directsound?.....
LG OLED55BX6LB, Zidoo Z1000 Pro (ZDMC 20.2 Arctic Zephyr 2 Resurrection), Yamaha RX-A3060, Polk Signature Fronts & Centre, Wharfedale D300 Atmos surrounds, Heco Victa Prime Sub 252A, DSPeaker Antimode 8033 Cinema
Not implemented because I don't own a DTS capable TV.
Hello, my TV, the LG C3, supports DTS, so that shouldn't be the issue. The TV is connected to a Denon AVR 2400H receiver via ARC. I also have the Plex app on my TV, and DTS sound works there. In the audio menu of Kodi, "Starfish" is listed under passthrough. I think this might be the issue, and another audio encoder that supports DTS should be used instead. Does anyone know if there's another encoder available for WebOS? I can't seem to find it.
I think you need eARC for DTS.
Many TV's support DTS passthrough from their HDMI inputs to the HDMI eARC port, but very few allow output of DTS from internal apps. So do you know 100% that the LG supports DTS from internal apps?
No the issue is that it's simply not implemented. It's supported from 2023 devices but I don't own one which makes implementing support difficult. In fact, LG even took the questionable decision to not allow DTS even via a connected eARC device prior to 2023 models (until 2019 this was supported)
(2024-04-12, 18:57)jjd-uk Wrote: Many TV's support DTS passthrough from their HDMI inputs to the HDMI eARC port, but very few allow output of DTS from internal apps. So do you know 100% that the LG supports DTS from internal apps?

I am sure because i have the Plex also on my tv and supports dts
(2024-04-12, 18:31)Hitcher Wrote: I think you need eARC for DTS.
Having set up my new C3 yesterday (not installed Kodi yet), I can confirm that you do not need eARC for DTS only ARC.

eARC is required for passthrough of DTS-HD MA and DTS X or the TrueHD/Atmos variants but it is not required for standard lossy DTS or the AC3 core part of TrueHD.

I have the same set up as the OP with the Denon AVR X2400H which only has ARC and I can get DTS and AC3 from Emby (it's in the LG App store so was my first port of call while setting up as it was easy), and I get passthrough of both codecs to my AVR.

I will be installing Kodi over the weekend, @sundermann let us know if there's anything we can do to help with the implementation of DTS passthrough in Kodi be it testing of builds of gathering of info that may help you.
I successfully build a plain vanilla kodi to start with and I'm now working on implementing DTS support. Please be patient as I struggle a little.
Ok, it mostly works. There is a slight delay and I need to check/optimize/debug things but at least I can play DTS-xx files. I keep you updated.
(2024-04-13, 16:54)Michelsup Wrote: Ok, it mostly works. There is a slight delay and I need to check/optimize/debug things but at least I can play DTS-xx files. I keep you updated.

Nice. Thanks for doing this and keeping us updated on the status Smile Good work!
If you need testers, I'm sure you'll shout out.
LG OLED55BX6LB, Zidoo Z1000 Pro (ZDMC 20.2 Arctic Zephyr 2 Resurrection), Yamaha RX-A3060, Polk Signature Fronts & Centre, Wharfedale D300 Atmos surrounds, Heco Victa Prime Sub 252A, DSPeaker Antimode 8033 Cinema
I struggle with buffers values/setup while using pass-through, but works very well with Kodi internal decoding. Don't be impatient, I test on the family receiver in the lounge, with my very limited free time. So don't hold your breath too long.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi V21 on LG C3 TV no DTS sound0