Recursive Slideshow Always Stuck Loading First Video
Hello, I'm making a digital picture frame that will just perpetually display videos in a loop.

Info + Log: https://paste.kodi.tv/yawaxivena.kodi
Raspberry Pi model: 3A+
Kodi (18.9 (18.9.0) Git:newclock5_18.9-Leia). Platform: Linux ARM 32-bit
Using Release Kodi x32 build (version for Raspberry Pi)
Kodi compiled 2021-07-06 by GCC 8.3.0 for Linux ARM 32-bit version 4.19.127 (267135)
Running on LibreELEC (official): 9.2.8, kernel: Linux ARM 32-bit version 4.19.127
FFmpeg version/source: 4.0.4-Kodi
Host CPU: ARMv7 Processor rev 4 (v7l), 4 cores available

Problem:
When Kodi boots, I select 'Pictures' then select the external flash drive (called New_Volume) that my [email protected] videos are stored on. I open the left side menu and select 'Recursive Slideshow'. Kodi will display the loading circle but will never start playing the video. I cannot exit the loading screen no matter what buttons I press. Only powercycling the pi lets me get control back.

(Apologies I do not know how to resize images on this site).

Video metadata:

What I've noticed and tried:
  1. I am aware this Kodi version is not the latest. However, newer versions are not compatible with the Raspberry Pi 3A+ due to the lack of RAM.
  2. I noticed it's always the first video (in this case AplMov-29.mov) that causes this infinite loading bug.
  3. I have tried deleting the first video (AplMov-29.mov) and using different videos as the first video. The bug still applies to the first video, no matter what video it is.
  4. If I enable 'randomise', then the other 2 videos will play as expected but when the first video (AplMov-29.mov) is reached, this bug will occur.
  5. If I select 'View Slideshow' instead of 'Recursive Slideshow' the first video (AplMov-29.mov) is loaded without any problem.
  6. If I just select the first video (AplMov-29.mov), it plays without issue.
  7. I have increased the GPU memory to 256mb (and disabled the automatic allocation that would override this setting).
  8. I have tried disabling hardware acceleration.
I am unsure what to do now and need guidance. Is this a known bug and can I work around it? Is there a previous version compatible with the Raspberry Pi 3A+ that does not contain this bug? Thank you.
I realized the link to the log is broken. You can't click on it, you need to copy and paste: https://paste.kodi.tv/yawaxivena.kodi
I do not see an edit button or I would fix the original post.
Looks like a bug that's also present in v19 and was fixed in v20. There is no chance of an official backport of the fix to v18 or v19.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thank you very much for your reply!

I can make my own fork and may be able to patch it myself. I see the function OnSlideShowRecursive(m_vecItems->GetPath()); in GUIWindowPictures.cpp is this a good starting place to diagnose the bug? (I'm currently looking at the latest code, not v18)
yes, good place to start.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
I did get a Kodi Dev environment set up but I quickly realized I was doing this the hard way. I don't need any of Kodi's Metadata scraping tools so I don't think it's the right tool for my application.

Instead I've switched to using Raspian Lite + VLC. VLC can recursively and randomly play all videos in a directory with just a single line 'vlc --loop --random /PathTo/Videos'. As a bonus I've made this command run on startup so no manual input is required!

I still really appreciate your help! It's not often that a developer of a large project helps out with an obscure issue.
yeah KISS. you're welcome!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recursive Slideshow Always Stuck Loading First Video0