opensubtitles retiring API - will free version still be usable by Kodi users?
(2024-01-04, 15:26)HeresJohnny Wrote: [rant]
I avoid opensubtitles like the plague. They want to make a living off of other users who build these subtitles from scratch or time them correctly. Many of those subtitles are even under copyright by the respective rights owners so it just feels wrong that there should be a fee involved in getting them from a third party. If anything, opensubtitles should pay the rights owners for distributing their content.

To add insult to injury, opensubtitles always alters the subtitles by injectiing some stupid ad or other which one has to watch at the beginning and end. Again, at least part of that revenue should go to the rights owners. Thank god for the subtitle cleaner add-on...
[/rant]

I completely agree! I used to work for the National Captioning Institute as a Program Engineer back around 2001. opensubtitles does not own these, but I guess they are paying to store them on their servers and make them searchable and downloadable, so they are doing something.

But, when I try the other ones, there are either no results or I get a message saying "see error log for details".

That brings me to another point: Where are these error logs? The typical Kodi.log doesn't show anything from these subtitles.

Why does it have to be so hard to see what the issue is? Is there some big conspiracy with Kodi that prevents me from just seeing the error message on the screen? I mean, a pop-up that says, "username/password combination not found" or "website URL does not exist" is actually helpful. Even if a visitor or one of my kids sees it, that is useful information. "See error log for details" is just irritating. At least give me the option to display the actual message on the screen.
I got a new login for sub*.com, but that didn't work either - just a one line file. FWIW, my file date - update file date for opensubtitles is YEARS ago

Tried to install https://a4k-openproject.github.io/a4kSub.../packages/ and the attendant zip, which fails installation every time - 'cause of V17.x?
I agree about the "ads" that they place in them, I just pause for a minute or two, open the file and delete the line.

If there is the need, there is always a manual install, dl'ing the file and adding - a pain, but ....

I'm assuming - as I can't seem to install most anything - updates - that V17.x which I use is kinda like Windows 7?

****************************** UPdate **********************************
I expected myself to figure this out - at least for me - after I finally posted a question;

Download https://github.com/opensubtitles/service...master.zip and install it as a zip.
This installs a NEW SEPARATE addon called opensubtitles.com - by opensubtitles. This isn't the opensubtitles.ORG - which is the old one, I uninstalled it.

Goto opensubtitles.COM and register.
Enter your credentials in the addon and boom.

Did that make sense?
I'm REALLY not sure moving credentials (or whatever the option is) IS that important.
It seems that this version of the opensubtitles.com isn't in any of the repositories - at least not that I could find.
Core 2/Duo 3.3g, 8Gb Memory, Win7/x32, Remote Wonder stuffed into a Antec Theatre Case.
SageTV, Kodi.
Opensubtitles.com add-on is in Kodi repo, and it is working. There is the pitfall noted in other thread, you need to use username and not email address as login

I'm using Kodi 21 though, perhaps it's not available for older Kodis?
It is available on Nexus too ...
Just use a4ksubtitles addon. opensubtitles addon is broken now.
(2024-01-11, 12:21)tfouto Wrote: Just use a4ksubtitles addon. opensubtitles addon is broken now.

It's not broken. It's $15/year now. lol
Opensubtitles.com free version works just fine. There is some limit on how many subtitles you can fetch per day, maybe 10? But it's hard to reach on normal use.

A4k subtitles is still fine though because it searches multiple services at the same time.
I running current version of Kodi on a Firestick. I use Kodi's UPnP feature to view video streamed over my network from a media server. In the last two weeks, whenever I download a subtitle from the opensubtitles addon, they do not work, there is just a message about the website you would normally see at the beginning or end of a movie. What could be causing this error?
As said in many threads now, opensubtitles.org no longer works and you need to use opensubtitles.com. it's a different add-on.
(2024-01-04, 09:44)Zuikkis Wrote: https://github.com/a4k-openproject/a4kSubtitles

It's easy to install. For me opensubtitles are broken and also there's a sorting/listing bug if searching for multiple languages..

Yep Yep...worked for me too after all others seem broken(ahem... pay us now! lol)
THANKS
Thanks all, but I have an account on OpenSubtitles. Tried it ONE LAST TIME but....................................... No. Using now Nova Player as my main video player. (and guess what? subs are available AND downloadable. Why not the case with Kodi?)
(2024-01-11, 20:34)Zuikkis Wrote: Opensubtitles.com free version works just fine. There is some limit on how many subtitles you can fetch per day, maybe 10? But it's hard to reach on normal use.

A4k subtitles is still fine though because it searches multiple services at the same time.

A4k subtitles it's not working for me, it appears everytime "imdb id not provided". 

I've just installed opensubtitles.com addon (not .org, that's a different one) and if you register a new user at opensubtitules.com and then you log in at the addon, it works just fine.
opensubtitles.com has a user rank system that determines how many free downloads you get per 24 hrs

https://www.opensubtitles.com/en/support_us

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
opensubtitles retiring API - will free version still be usable by Kodi users?0