opensubtitles retiring API - will free version still be usable by Kodi users?
I have a free account with opensubtitles.org, which I use with Kodi v19. This morning I received an email advising me that:
"OpenSubtitles.org is undergoing a transformation, retiring the original API by the end of 2023. Fear not, as this paves the way for the advanced OpenSubtitles.com REST API"

Does this mean that the Kodi opensubtitles add-on will stop working? If so, can anyone recommend a good, free alternative for (mainly) UK and US TV shows and movies?
service.subtitles.rvm.addic7ed for TV Shows
service.subtitles.subsceneplus for Movies and some TVShows

Both addons are in the official Kodi repository
Kodi 21 Windows 10 and 11 | 21 Xbox One X | 21 Linux Mint Virginia XFCE | CoreELEC NO 21 nightly S905X4 aarch64
No experience, but it seems you should create account on opensubtitles.com and the use service.subtitles.opensubtitles-com addon from Kodi repo.  Though I guess free account is rate limited.

scott s.
Came here to find out too. Already use Addic7ed and Subscene but sometimes they don't return results.
(2023-11-14, 22:44)gujal Wrote: service.subtitles.rvm.addic7ed for TV Shows
service.subtitles.subsceneplus for Movies and some TVShows

Both addons are in the official Kodi repository

Thanks for those recommendations - I'll check them out
I have just setup an account on opensubtitles.com, where its clearly explained as an option that we can import our user profiles from opensubtitles.org if we have one.

Then as explained by scott967 it's as simple as installing opensubtitles.com from kodi repo and then inputting opensubtitles.com user account/password details, into the new addon within kodi.
Once this is completed we can switch between installed subtitle services i.e. opensubtitles.org and opensubtiles.com (+ others as user wishes) to find required subtitles for a show or movie at time of being played in Kodi etc.

It appears to mention limits for a basic opensubtitles.com signed-in user account at https://opensubtitles.stoplight.io/docs/...ng-started
RPi4, (LibreELEC 11.0) hdmi0 -> Philips 55PUS7304 4K TV, hdmi1 -> Onkyo TX-SR608 AV Receiver
Ah OK so is it the case that downloading up to 5 per day would still not require a paid subscription. or did I misunderstand the terms at the link that you posted?
I just registered an account at opensubtitles.com, but couldn't find an option to import my subtitles.org profile anywhere. I'm not sure if that's important, provided I stay within the download limits for free users?
(2023-12-01, 14:04)itm1960 Wrote: I just registered an account at opensubtitles.com, but couldn't find an option to import my subtitles.org profile anywhere. I'm not sure if that's important, provided I stay within the download limits for free users?

See highlighted option Image

Don't think the import is terribly important, in my case when using available import method of creating account it just seemed to already know and set-up my subtitle lang preferences. (in webpage user profile area)
Regarding number of subtitle downloads per day for basic user account, a small single digit number (5 or 10 if indeed thats what it is) seems ok for casual user usage.
RPi4, (LibreELEC 11.0) hdmi0 -> Philips 55PUS7304 4K TV, hdmi1 -> Onkyo TX-SR608 AV Receiver
(2023-12-01, 13:49)MikeKL Wrote: It appears to mention limits for a basic opensubtitles.com signed-in user account at https://opensubtitles.stoplight.io/docs/...ng-started

How are we supposed to install this API Key?

In their "Getting Started" section, it mentions "curl". What language is this?

It seems a little involved for watching movies at my house.
Code:
curl -vvv --location "https://api.opensubtitles.com/api/v1/infos/formats" \
-H "Content-Type: application/json" \
-H "Api-Key: <<API_KEY>>" \
-A "User-Agent: <<{{APP_NAME}} v{{APP_VERSION}}>>"
And I am not getting any subtitles from either opensubtitles.org or opensubtitles.com.

The files returned from opensubtitles.org only have 1 line of text that displays for the entire movie: "To become a VIP, go to ..."

The files returned from opensubtitles.com are blank (no data).

I came here hoping to find an answer, but it doesn't look like there is one at this point.
Confirmed. I just downloaded subtitles are working on opensubtitle.com.
I just imported my account from opensubtitles.org

I thought it's the end of downloaded subtitles until I visited this forum. 
Was also getting need to be VIP message... on opensubtitles.org.

I'd like to explore how to add/use legendasdivx.com & the a4k subtitle...
If anyone could chime in...
https://github.com/a4k-openproject/a4kSubtitles

It's easy to install. For me opensubtitles are broken and also there's a sorting/listing bug if searching for multiple languages..
(2024-01-01, 19:18)jp2code Wrote: And I am not getting any subtitles from either opensubtitles.org or opensubtitles.com.

The files returned from opensubtitles.org only have 1 line of text that displays for the entire movie: "To become a VIP, go to ..."

The files returned from opensubtitles.com are blank (no data).

I came here hoping to find an answer, but it doesn't look like there is one at this point.
I became a VIP member on the opensubtitles.org website.

When looking at becoming a member before, I was confused partially because clicking their VIP banner opens an ad in a new tab that is completely unrelated and then by all of the options shown on their VIP page. So I just left their website. See section marked (1) in the screenshot below.

I figured I must be doing something wrong, and left.

The second time, I still got the ad that opens in a new tab and requires Human Verification, but I closed it and went back to the page shown below.

read their instructions a little more closely. There is nothing that jumps out and said "Click Here to Join", but if you look right above the number (2) below you can see a link with the text Become VIP Member. Again, it opens a new tab that requires Human Verification and turns out to be an advertisement (why do they do that?). If you close that tab, you should see this URL in your address bar: https://sites.fastspring.com/flixtools/i...member=new

It is $15 a year. I paid it with my PayPal account because I don't really trust this FlixTools Store website, and now my captions are loading fine.

[rant]
I avoid opensubtitles like the plague. They want to make a living off of other users who build these subtitles from scratch or time them correctly. Many of those subtitles are even under copyright by the respective rights owners so it just feels wrong that there should be a fee involved in getting them from a third party. If anything, opensubtitles should pay the rights owners for distributing their content.

To add insult to injury, opensubtitles always alters the subtitles by injectiing some stupid ad or other which one has to watch at the beginning and end. Again, at least part of that revenue should go to the rights owners. Thank god for the subtitle cleaner add-on...
[/rant]

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
opensubtitles retiring API - will free version still be usable by Kodi users?0