Beta 21 beta 1 can't play ripped DVD files as *.iso anymore
As long time Kodi user on Android I have updated from 20.2 Nexus up to 21.0 Omega beta1. Everything seems working fine except playing my *.iso files, ripped from DVD in past, that functionality is lost now. I know that this is oudated but i think it should still work. Kodi 21 crashes right away after accessing any *.iso. There isn't any useful inside the log. Are there some note / information about this?

/Matthias
I just tried playing a DVD ISO and it worked fine for me on my Shield 2019 Pro.

The disc I tried was part 1 of the Millennium Trilogy (Swedish version with Dutch subtitles).
Unfortunately every of my *.iso files crashes Kodi Omega beta. It simply seems the handling of *.iso is gone for Omega. May be your shield can handle it by itself or Omega has a permission issue for this file type. Back now to 20.2: That handles *. iso without any error.
My device is a Minix U22-XJ Max, a better Android device...
(2023-10-19, 19:56)Endur Wrote: Unfortunately every of my *.iso files crashes Kodi Omega beta

Where's your debug log (wiki) then ?
Learning Linux the hard way !!
> I just tried playing a DVD ISO and it worked fine for me on my Shield 2019 Pro.

Same here, no problems. (Shield 2019 Pro).
It's

https://paste.kodi.tv/cazogodupi

As said I couldn't find any related to any try to load an *.iso file. Kodi crashes immediately while trying that.

/Matthias
The vstream addon you have installed is a banned addon (wiki) and means we cannot support you.
The forum moderators have determined that banned addons (wiki) are present on your system. To receive assistance here, these banned items must be removed. If a clean log is not submitted within 3 days, then the relevant post(s) will be removed after this time.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Ok the xStream plugin is deleted.

The new log is on

https://paste.kodi.tv/cegukogacu

Would like it to support Kodi...

/Matthias
> crashes right away after accessing any *.iso

Can you explain how exactly you "access" the iso. There are different ways to initiate playback. Maybe one of them leads to a crash.
Filme (Movies) -> Click on "The English Patient" for example: Kodi closes fast and the launcher is seen.

Same if I go directly to Videos -> Device (Seagate Expansion Drive) -> Directory -> *.iso file.

Sometimes the harddisk has stopped spinning by a configured delay.
Usual I can hear afterwards the spinup and in the end the *.iso gets loaded.

But with Omega there seems no such request to the file system itself. The crash comes before, may be based by the iso suffix

I'm now back to latest stable - it works very well.

/Matthias
> I'm now back to latest stable - it works very well.

That's the most stupid "solution" possible as we will now not be able to track down the issue. We can close this thread as solved and you will be stuck with latest stable until eternity or somebody fixes your issue by luck which is very unlikely . Good luck and all the best.
Have a full backup of the user directory as ever -  in result we can switch between stable and Omega easily.

For sure I will help tracking down the issue. It would be also interesting if somebody on Android other than with Nvidia Shield can confirm the issue. I'm relatively sure it should be the case because the setup here isn't exotic, it's latest factory ROM, clean setup, otherwise very stable.

So far I know the *.iso requires at first something like a mount to get all file structure of the DVD so I think a possible difference in code for handling this -  between stable and Omega - may be help to find out what's going on.

May be there is a path change which makes a permission issue now.

/Matthias
@Endur So you are trying to play an ISO from locally attached storage right?

Can you check on your Android device which permissions the Kodi app has? Is there an option to change the "Files and media" permission from "Allow only while using the app" to "Allow all the time"?
Thinking more about the issue I suspect it's a permission problem while decompressing / expand / mount the *.iso at first to a temp directory.

Android >= 9 doesn't allow writing of Kodi to the file system outside of

/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/

on external USB devices. Maybe on the Shield it's different.

Ok have copied an *.iso to  /Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/
Can play that *.iso by use of Kodi's buildin file manager!

Clicking on the file I see at first the decompression, means for example the VIDEO_TS folder is shown - so that works. "Open with..." gives me VideoPlayer or RetroPlayer (Games).
VideoPlayer is playing fine ;-)

BTW I'm on Omega beta again.
That should be fixed.

/Matthias
Right.
Permissions are given for storage.
The permissions you have asked aren't available. Because it works on stable that part there should be compared, maybe always use the internal temp dir of Kodi for uncompress.

Also the Shield may not work if *.iso files are loaded from a local mounted device, in my case the Seagate Expansion Drive, connected via USB3, that's common.

/Matthias

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
21 beta 1 can't play ripped DVD files as *.iso anymore0