Favorites not playing iptv-simple clinet channels through kodi remote app
Hi,
Can't seem to resolve the error message 'One or more items failed to play'. I'm using the kodi iphone remote app on Windows 10 machine (Kodi 20.2). The app connects and works but choosing a channel through favorites generates an error. Meanwhile my favorites work when I browse them directly from the computer. Any thoughts?

2023-10-19 08:43:12.261 T:16136    info <general>: VideoPlayer::OpenFile: pvr://channels/tv/AM%20%7c%20USA%20%7c%20NEWS/[email protected]_1815421837.pvr
2023-10-19 08:43:12.262 T:17616    info <general>: Creating InputStream
2023-10-19 08:43:12.262 T:16136   error <general>: PVR::CPVRItem::GetChannel: Unsupported item type!
2023-10-19 08:43:12.263 T:17616   error <general>: CVideoPlayer::OpenInputStream - error opening [pvr://channels/tv/AM%20%7c%20USA%20%7c%20NEWS/[email protected]_1815421837.pvr]
2023-10-19 08:43:12.263 T:17616    info <general>: CVideoPlayer::OnExit()
2023-10-19 08:43:12.269 T:8124     info <general>: Deleting settings information for files pvr://channels/tv/AM%20%7c%20USA%20%7c%20NEWS/[email protected]_1815421837.pvr
2023-10-19 08:43:12.482 T:16136    info <general>: CVideoPlayer::CloseFile()
2023-10-19 08:43:12.482 T:16136    info <general>: VideoPlayer: waiting for threads to exit
2023-10-19 08:43:12.482 T:16136    info <general>: VideoPlayer: finished waiting
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
Tnx
Here is the full log file (hastebin is generating an error for some reason)

https://gist.github.com/ervy1/f520cc6f00...645250a100
Just tested this with IPTV-simple and Kodi 19.5 on Linux, works for me with latest TestFlight build. Could this be a problem of Kodi 20.x?

Edit: Also works with App version 1.12.1 freshly built for simulator.
Edit 2: Also works with Kodi 20.2 (Linux).
Confirming the issue, working on a fix.

BTW: Looking at the code I actually doubt that this works with Kodi 19. The app is sending Player.Open via json-rpc when clicking on a TV channel in favourites, which only works by luck for some of the pvr add-ons (like pvr.hts) and does not work at all for more "simple" pvr add-ons like pvr.iptvsimple. Anyway, working on a fix.
Fix is here: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/23961, targeted for Omega Beta 2
(2023-10-19, 22:08)ksooo Wrote: BTW: Looking at the code I actually doubt that this works with Kodi 19. The app is sending Player.Open via json-rpc when clicking on a TV channel in favourites, which only works by luck for some of the pvr add-ons (like pvr.hts) and does not work at all for more "simple" pvr add-ons like pvr.iptvsimple. Anyway, working on a fix.

I am confused. The App since years used Player.Open to play channels. When selecting a channel from the channel list it will send Player.Open with channelid as parameter. The method Favourites.GetFavourites does not return any such value for channels, only the type "media" and the "path" is given -- "path" looking like seen in the logs (e.g. "pvr://channels/tv/AM%20%7c%20USA%20%7c%20NEWS/[email protected]_1815421837.pvr").
1. Isn't Player.Open with channelid the correct way?
2. Is it possible to gather the channelid from the path via JSON API?
3. I guess GetFavourites cannot return database ids because they might have changed since the favorites where added?
(2023-10-19, 14:55)ervybaby Wrote: The app connects and works but choosing a channel through favorites generates an error. Meanwhile my favorites work when I browse them directly from the computer. Any thoughts?
Does it work, if you freshly add the same channel to favorites again?
(2023-10-20, 07:10)Buschel Wrote:
(2023-10-19, 14:55)ervybaby Wrote: The app connects and works but choosing a channel through favorites generates an error. Meanwhile my favorites work when I browse them directly from the computer. Any thoughts?
Does it work, if you freshly add the same channel to favorites again?

Answering on behalf of the issue reporter: No, this does not make a difference.

Speaking for myself: As I meanwhile understood the root cause of the issue I can say that for sure.
(2023-10-20, 06:52)Buschel Wrote:
(2023-10-19, 22:08)ksooo Wrote: BTW: Looking at the code I actually doubt that this works with Kodi 19. The app is sending Player.Open via json-rpc when clicking on a TV channel in favourites, which only works by luck for some of the pvr add-ons (like pvr.hts) and does not work at all for more "simple" pvr add-ons like pvr.iptvsimple. Anyway, working on a fix.

I am confused. The App since years used Player.Open to play channels. When selecting a channel from the channel list it will send Player.Open with channelid as parameter. The method Favourites.GetFavourites does not return any such value for channels, only the type "media" and the "path" is given -- "path" looking like seen in the logs (e.g. "pvr://channels/tv/AM%20%7c%20USA%20%7c%20NEWS/[email protected]_1815421837.pvr").
1. Isn't Player.Open with channelid the correct way?
2. Is it possible to gather the channelid from the path via JSON API?
3. I guess GetFavourites cannot return database ids because they might have changed since the favorites where added?

> When selecting a channel from the channel list it will send Player.Open with "channelid" as parameter.

That's fine.

> The method Favourites.GetFavourites does not return any such value for channels, only the type "media" and the "path" is given

That's correct (not saying this is good or should not be improved, but this is a different story). Thus, for favourites you have no other (clean) option than to send parameter 'file' along with Player.Open, containing the path to the target of the favourite (pvr://channels/...), which you do and that is okay.

The problem lies not in the remote control app, but in Kodi and needs to be fixed there, what the before mentioned PR does.

> Isn't Player.Open with channelid the correct way?

Yes, it is, but for favourites the API offers no clean way to obtain it. Please do not start parsing pvr:// URLs on your own. Those are internal and might change without notice. Same situation for recordings btw.

> Is it possible to gather the channelid from the path via JSON API?

Not that I no.

> I guess GetFavourites cannot return database ids because they might have changed since the favorites where added?

Not everything that can be "favourited" even has a database id.
@ksooo, thanks for the detailed response. I will for sure not start parsing the path. Wink
So, the App can only continue with the current implementation, and solutions must be found in Kodi and/or the related add-ons.
Hi, just to clarify (i'm not a dev) where to go to download the latest build containing the fix if available?
(2023-10-20, 13:02)Buschel Wrote: @ksooo, thanks for the detailed response. I will for sure not start parsing the path. Wink
So, the App can only continue with the current implementation, and solutions must be found in Kodi and/or the related add-ons.

I repeat: The solution has already been found and will be merged into kodi code base the very next days.
(2023-10-20, 14:20)ksooo Wrote: I repeat: The solution has already been found and will be merged into kodi code base the very next days.
Thanks. Will this be also back-ported for next Kodi 20 release? The initial report was for Kodi 20.2.
(2023-10-20, 18:24)Buschel Wrote:
(2023-10-20, 14:20)ksooo Wrote: I repeat: The solution has already been found and will be merged into kodi code base the very next days.
Thanks. Will this be also back-ported for next Kodi 20 release? The initial report was for Kodi 20.2.

Could be done, yes. But there is no decision whether there will be another nexus release, as omega now already is in beta phase.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Favorites not playing iptv-simple clinet channels through kodi remote app0