Version manager is always selecting default movie version
Hi,

I upgraded to the lastest and greatest version 21.0 DB conversion etc. went well. Added two different Blade Runner versions: Director's Cut and Final Cut. Made the Final Cut the defail movie to play.
But If I select the Director's Cut it still plays the Final Cut (set as default version).
In settings I have is all defailt for the version, i.e.:

► Select default video version
Disabled - (default) When selecting a video version to play, a pop-up will provide the option to select which version to play

► Show videos with multiple versions as a folder
Disabled - (default) When selecting a video version, what happens after selection will be determined by the previous setting Select default video version

I would expect a window to open with different versions (which it does) and playing the selected version, which it doesn't, it plays the defailt version.

Anyone else experiencing the same behaviour?

Thanks for checking and helping out!
(2024-04-14, 14:04)chromeboy Wrote: Anyone else experiencing the same behaviour?
No, we're going to need a debug log and possibly your database.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
Hi,
Thanks for the feedback. I generated a debug file.
Here is some basic info about the issue:

Movie               : Blade Runner
Default version  : Director's Cut
Selected version: Final Cut
Expected to play: Final Cut
Played version   : Director's Cut (default version).

► Select default video version
Disabled - (default) When selecting a video version to play, a pop-up will provide the option to select which version to play

► Show videos with multiple versions as a folder
Disabled - (default) When selecting a video version, what happens after selection will be determined by the previous setting Select default video version

(Ps: I switched default version earlier to see if it would somehow fix the issue).

Here is the generated logfile.

Thanks in advance for help and feedback!
I didn't see an obvious problem in the log. Estuary skin, no profiles.

What happens when changing the default version to the final cut?

How do you control Kodi? keyboard, remote, mouse,... ?

Do you play from Movies library view?

I tried playing versions of a movie that belongs to a set, which seems similar to you, and it worked fine.

There are a couple other ways to play versions that would be interesting for you to try.
- Info dialog, versions button
- context menu, manage, manage versions
With the setting Show videos with multiple versions as a folder = yes
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Hi thanks for the feedback.

Here are my findings:
What happens when changing the default version to the final cut?
> When changing the default version it always plays the default version, even when I select a non default version.
> Always plays default version when following route described in my remark "Where it goes wrong"; see further down this reply

How do you control Kodi? keyboard, remote, mouse,... ?
> both with mouse and keyboard

Do you play from Movies library view?
> library view: select Menu option movies followed by selecting the movie with different versions.

There are a couple other ways to play versions that would be interesting for you to try:
- Info dialog, versions button
> Selecting version other than default followed pressing Play results in playing the correct version!!
<Ps: hadn't tried this route because I didn't know it exists>

- context menu, manage, manage versions
With the setting Show videos with multiple versions as a folder = yes
> this shows all the versions and selecting the version other than default results in playing the correct version

I tried playing versions of a movie that belongs to a set, which seems similar to you, and it worked fine.
> I haven't got a movie with versions that also belong to a set, so I can't try, but in my opinion its a different situation and thus also different testcase

Where it goes wrong:
- select with mouse or ENTER with keyboard
Movies > Blade Runner Collection > Blade Runner > Choose version Dialog is shown > Select version other than default: selected version tern organe and the default version is played!!
So it seems handling versions this way isn't working correctly.

Some background info on how everything is arranged on disc as/in a folder structure (Though I don't think It shoud matter):

Blade Runner Collection
|_ Blade Runner (1982) Directors Cut 
  > Blade Runner (1982) Directors Cut.mp4
|_ Blade Runner (1982) Final Cut
  > Blade Runner (1982) Final Cut.mp4

Looking forward to your feedback. And of course thanks for helping me out.
Only thing I can suggest is to use the video version manager and remove everything that isn't the default version. Then remove the default from the library so everything should be reset. Then start adding them again.
This is really strange.

Could you share a screen capture of an attempt to play a non-default version? (starting from home page)

Could you try a portable installation of Kodi in a different directory (start Kodi with -p command line parameter) with everything left as default except for the creation of the video source and versions?
ie no remote db, no path substitutions, no addons, no skin customizations, ...
and see what happens.

note: your Blade Runner Collection is the movie set that I was referring to. It contains the movie.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Hi,

thanks for your reply!

I just tried with a new empty database. 
Just added 2 movies (i.e. the 2 Blade Runner ones).
Still same behaviour.

I can make a screen capture using just these to movies in an otherwise empty database.
Question: how do I upload it to this forum and obide by the rules?
If I use the video button it refers to all kind of sites.

For the portable install I first have to read how to do that (i.e. I haven't done that before)
As I don't seem to be able to edit my own post I just reply to it, sorry for the inconvenience.

I did the portable install and added the two movies. And there it works!
So now we've got to figure out what's making it not work in the original upgraded install.

Do you have any suggestions?

Can I also make an advancedusersettings.xml for the portable install (place it in the portable_data\userdata) and pojnt it to (central) databases on the Synology, without messing up settings in the original install?
Would like to check if it still works ok.

Thanks in advance for your feedback and suggestions.
As I said earlier try removing all versions using the video version manager, then remove the remaining entry from the database (run a clean library wouldn't hurt either here), then re-add each movie using the video version manager.
Hi,
Thanks for the suggestion but I already tried that.

So far I tried:
> removing the movies in question and adding them again: same issue
> created a new (empty) DB, added the movies in question: same issue

> portable KODI with:
   >> new DB: no issue
   >> earlier created 'empty' DB <see above>: no issue
   >> regular DB: no issue

So the portable version is having no issues with all the different DBs but the upgraded Kodi version does.
Difference between the upgraded Kodi version and the portable version is that the upgraded one is from the Windows store
and portable version is fresh installed version with installer.
Yes you can setup an advanced settings file in your portable install. For absolute safety you could make a copy of the databases under a different name and use that name in the advanced settings remote db params.
The portable install is very unlikely to damage your remote db, the most risky part was the migration of the data from v20 to v21.
You can build on the working portable install little by little (add the remote db, all sources, the addons, the settings, ...) and find out what breaks.
Or you can go with bigger steps and copy little by little the xml config files from your normal Kodi profile ($user\AppData\Roaming\Kodi) to the portable_data dir of the portable installation.

I don't know if there is anything special about the Windows store version, I seem to recall it's the same that you downloaded directly.
The issue is most likely something unexpected in a config somewhere.
Hello,

so I used an advancedsettings with connection to remote existing DB (same advancedsettings ad the local version uses).
When I use this DB with the local installed version I got the issue.
Using the portable version has no issue at all.

I'm thinking of installing Kodi on a different laptop with same settings files and see if that works or not.
If it does it (probably) means no issue with the settings.

any more suggestions?
This still points to an issue in the Kodi data of the local install (the $user\AppData\Roaming\Kodi I pointed to earlier). The remote DB is OK.

No change from before, you can continue investigating and try to preserve as much of your existing config as possible by adding little by little to the portable version until it breaks, then you'll know what to undo on the local install.
Or you can just start from scratch with the local version (uninstall, including data deletion, then reinstall), since we know that a brand new install works.
Hi,

it's been busy on this side so took me a while before I was able to test some more things.
Just installed a fresh Kodi on another laptop. Used same setting files as laptop on which it always plays the default version.
newly installed laptop plays the selected version.
So what settings would cause the issue?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Version manager is always selecting default movie version0