Maintenance Add-On for Kodi
Is there a recommended or good maintenance add-on for Kodi?
(2023-10-31, 02:49)Loyal316 Wrote: Is there a recommended or good maintenance add-on for Kodi?
What sort of maintenance do you need to perform? What do you feel needs fixing or cleaning? What problems are you experiencing with Kodi?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Just something to keep it running well if there are problems.  Such as clearing the cache.
Caches are self cleaning. Never herd of addon that will fix any problems with kodi, if have a problem u fix to your self.
What problems are you having or have had ?
Most often such "wizards" and similar maintenance addons cause more issues than they solve.
Think of it like giving the common man in the street a large and powerful chainsaw - useful for some people and jobs, but for others a recipe for disaster.

Kodi generally does not need such tweaking or adjustment, and where stuff is needed there are generally other ways to achieve it than these "tools".
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Ok thank you for the advice.  So there should never be a real need to clear the Kodi Cache?  If I have problems with Kodi what the best course of action.  Post a Log Viewer file here?
Yes. A Debug Log
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I might add, does Kodi auto clean thumbnail cache and Packages cache?

I ask, because I’ve noticed accumulations of thumbnails cache of up to 1GB and up if I let just sit there and accumulate on my Shield which have limited Storage space compared to like a PC, etc. Also, after updating multiple addons in a regularly basis Package cache can slowly grow too. So, I mainly keep and eye only on those two. The Kodi Cache I know that one can regularly clean itself out.
There is one addon, to clean packages zips and thumbnails, and more, it works fine.
an you set auto cleaning, with timer, or scheduling too.
Too bad,  the addon is not in official kodi repo.

KCleaner
It's against our policy to allow addons which directly interact with the Kodi database (rather than going through Kodi itself) into the repo.

The one you mention is (as you say) ok though functionality-wise, which is why it has a support thread here on this forum (the one linked above).
That's not to say you won't be able to do damage with it anyway, but the author does offer support for it (or did, they've since left us although I think others have stepped into their place).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
On a PC_x86_64 platform (Windows or LibreELEC) there is indeed hardly ever (or never never) need for cache clearing and similar maintenance addons. But consider running Kodi on an Android smart TV which by design has no root and is hardware wise limited to 4 or 8 GB NAND storage. A /Thumbnails folder, whose size may indeed rise to 1GB, shall in such an environment make Kodi, and even system itself, non-operable. Problem in such a system is, you cannot delete the bloat because you have no filesystem access to Kodi's data folder. So yes, there are instances where a maintenance addon is not a luxury but a necessity.
Using skins: customized Xonfluence, Unity, Amber, Estuary.
Thank you for this comment, we'll said.

Do you have a maintenance addon that you recommended?
Just went through this on my Shield.  Started getting low disk errors and couldn't install the latest nightly even though Kodi and Xplore are literally the only things I installed myself.  Ended up deleing a lot of old package zip files though old thumbnails was where I got most of my space back from.

Luckily, I can connect to my Shield from my Windows PC which made it a lot easier for me.
Kodi Omega (arm64) nightly, nVidia Shield Pro 2019 SE 9.1.1+Hotfix (Android 11), Samsung Q8FN, Synology DS1821+ DSM 7.2.1-69057 Update 4
Yes, lot of new box and tvs come with android tv or similar system, and under that, impossible to access to some kodi folders.
You cannot delete the package.zips without this tool. The userdata folder is available in kodi file manager, but  the addon folder, not,
therefore users with these system have no other chance to delete the unused files.
Im not say, the addon is perfect, but its works good.
(2023-11-26, 02:30)Loyal316 Wrote: Do you have a maintenance addon that you recommended?

1. I picked up EZ Maintenance+. It does clean up thumbnails(*) and packages plus it auto-cleans cache at startup(**), plus it tweaks some settings, and provides for an extra backup functionality. Where it fails is at viewing & uploading logs: Even though I have the two basic kodi log viewer/uploader tools installed the addon crashed very time I hit the respective button.
NOTE (*):
I have set my thumbnails threshold at 100 MB, and though this is still a very high number considering my paucity of storage space in my 4GB smart TV, I have no clue as to whether this cripples Kodi.
NOTE (**):
Immediately after installation of my 4GB smart TV, Kodi (v20.2) refused to start every second time unless the cache was cleaned. Soon after, it refused to start every time.

2. Other tools do a somehow (or substantially) better job, but they were written in python 2.

3. Bear in mind that nearly all of the good maintenance tools either have their roots in, or are actually branches of, banned addons. It is a sad thing that the best maintenance tools for Kodi are made by hackers and crackers and every time you run them you risk your safety.
Using skins: customized Xonfluence, Unity, Amber, Estuary.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Maintenance Add-On for Kodi0