• 23(current)
Release [obsolete - now in nightlies] Build - Dolby Vision compatibility/quality improvements
Please help develop support DOVI ISO/BDMV. Thanks.
Hi, what is the best choice for MKV and DoVi now ? Keep Profile 7 (so both layers and don't lose quality for future even if EL is ignored now) and let Kodi do the conversion to 8 ? Or convert directly to Profile 8 ? Thank you !
(2024-02-25, 00:57)NicCo Wrote: Hi, what is the best choice for MKV and DoVi now ? Keep Profile 7 (so both layers and don't lose quality for future even if EL is ignored now) and let Kodi do the conversion to 8 ? Or convert directly to Profile 8 ? Thank you !

You can just keep profile 7 files and have Kodi convert them. It's equivalent, just more convenient to keep original profile 7.
Thank you, so I'll use DGDemux and check the MakeMKV method for DoVi, not Profile 8 conversion
I realize this is an older thread, but I am now seeing grey bars on my older Sony TV with Kodi 21 RC2 playing h.265 with HDR10 and Dolby Vison. I just started using HDR content so I am late to this conversation. Were these merges supposed to take care of this issue? I have been out of the loop for quite a while.
(2024-03-28, 01:08)kricker Wrote: I realize this is an older thread, but I am now seeing grey bars on my older Sony TV with Kodi 21 RC2 playing h.265 with HDR10 and Dolby Vison. I just started using HDR content so I am late to this conversation. Were these merges supposed to take care of this issue? I have been out of the loop for quite a while.

No. In fact they reverted an old workaround that was in place for Sony TVs specifically for this issue.
It was reverted because it causes issues on other devices.
See https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/22561.

You should open an issue on GitHub. Currently there is no way to correct this at all.
It should be feasible to at least have an advanced setting that would restore the old workaround.
Thanks for letting me know. I'll do just that. My neighbor has a newer Sony TV, I'll test it on his as well. For now, I at can at least turn it off on the TV for those files that have the issue.
(2024-03-28, 02:03)quietvoid Wrote:
(2024-03-28, 01:08)kricker Wrote: I realize this is an older thread, but I am now seeing grey bars on my older Sony TV with Kodi 21 RC2 playing h.265 with HDR10 and Dolby Vison. I just started using HDR content so I am late to this conversation. Were these merges supposed to take care of this issue? I have been out of the loop for quite a while.

No. In fact they reverted an old workaround that was in place for Sony TVs specifically for this issue.
It was reverted because it causes issues on other devices.
See https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/22561.

You should open an issue on GitHub. Currently there is no way to correct this at all.
It should be feasible to at least have an advanced setting that would restore the old workaround.
Same issue here, Gray bars are now visible and its unplayable, Sony TV was my main TV, Enabling DOlby Vision fixes it but the video lags hard. Why would u screw tons of people using this Sony tvs to fix it for other people issue, that makes no sense. You are in the same situation now where people stuff are broken, no matter the site. First Sony Had no issues and others did now its the other way around. How is this a solution to the problem ?
When you say enable Dolby Vision, are you referring to a setting on your Sony TV or within Kodi?

I've started a thread looking for support to add an advanced setting to toggle the workaround. It would need a developer willing to add that feature.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=376806
(2024-05-08, 20:29)kricker Wrote: When you say enable Dolby Vision, are you referring to a setting on your Sony TV or within Kodi?

I've started a thread looking for support to add an advanced setting to toggle the workaround. It would need a developer willing to add that feature.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=376806
Enabling Dolby Vision in the Kodi Menu reproduces correct color on the UI, but it is laggin really hard. I have never used Dolby tbh with Kodi on my TV even tho Dolby works on it fine, tested with other player. Point being i just want HDR and nothing else. It used to do HDR if the movie was DOLBY it just converted it to HDR. Now there is an issue where if Dolby is on it lags and if its off HDR is played fine on the same movie with good colors,but everything around it is bad. The ui is washed out along with the black bars.

Also issue created, i am not willing to go though the hassle of creating logs when this has already been gone though and it was FIXED in v20. I have had KODI for 5 years since i bought the TV and never had issues. This is frustrating tbh i have been trouble shooting all day today just to learn it was a "FIX" that was removed. That blows.

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/25166

Adding an advanced setting toggle would be amazing.
  • 23(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[obsolete - now in nightlies] Build - Dolby Vision compatibility/quality improvements0