Linux Heavy compression pumping when using "volume/volume amplification"
Merry Christmas everyone!

Having some spare time at this time of the year I'd like to solve an old and strange issue of my xbmc-box.

When I first started using the dynamic compression feature in the audio-part of the menu of the running movie (volume/volume amplification) it worked like a charm. Sadly some month later it stopped doing that. Now I get a very hard pumping sound, which goes up and down in volume for maybe 10 dB twice a second. This interval is independent from the actual audio-content. I can best describe it as a 1 Hz sine-wave modulating the output-volume. It is only there when I lower the volume in the audio-part of the gui. The more I lower the volume the greater the difference of loud and silent parts.

Except for that audio in xbmc works fine.

My audio-setup is jack through an alsa-to-jack-bridge (because I use brutefir) but that itself works flawlessly with different inputs (mp3-player on the host, external phono-stage via the inputs of the audio-interface, etc). I would not suspect any error here.

Not being aware of having made any changes right before the error occurred, I tried everything in order to solve the issue, including purging and reinstalling of xbmc, trying stable and unstable versions and whatnot. I also tried setting limiterhold and limiterrelease in advancedsettings.xml manually to the values from the wiki, which I guess to be the default-values, but that also didn't change anything.

Here's a logfile: http://paste.ubuntu.com/6640071/
You will notice a repeated CAESinkALSA::HandleError(snd_pcm_writei(1). I don't know what it is but it is also there when everything plays fine without the compression-pumping.

Any help would be very welcome, I have neighbors.. Wink
Best regards
((( atom )))
After fighting with it for a few hours I can happily report that it is working again in Gotham! Smile

Thanks a lot to the dev-team!
Suggest you post your solution and mark as solved... Enjoy XBMC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Heavy compression pumping when using "volume/volume amplification"0