Kodi Community Forum
Beta Arctic Horizon 2 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Skinning (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+---- Forum: WIP Skins (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=160)
+---- Thread: Beta Arctic Horizon 2 (/showthread.php?tid=367352)

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - he4vyg - 2023-01-15

Thanks so much for having a look at it! Cheers

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - Bindou - 2023-01-15

Hi @jurialmunkey, thank you for your reply,
You lend me false intentions. I was using Zephyr horizontally, I don't like vertical interfaces. Today, Horizon 2 seems to be the most ergonomic ; there are more good points than bad points for me, otherwise I wouldn't be wasting time trying to convince you. ^^ 
It's a great interface, really!

Is it complicated to limit the width of Clear Logos ? Does this variability seem more aesthetic to you ? 
If I had to choose Clear logos to limit this effect on all my content, it would take me months of work. If you are afraid of user reactions, why not ask their opinion? Maybe I'm wrong, but I still feel like it would be better for everyone. I'm not saying to reduce it a lot, but at least to avoid a rather gross "stretching" effect. It is true that on Zephyr they are often too small. We have to be able to find a balance. Please try to consider my request for at least a minute by doing a test at home. And maybe offer some screens in the ballot. That said, that does not exclude your relevant remark. But, isn't there an automatic way to select horizontal, rather than square, Clear logos when the choice is available ? In order to have a homogeneous rendering adapted to your Skin? It would be quite interesting to develop. Maybe limiting the Clear logo to the blurry area is a good compromise ? here :

Ditto for the summary, I don't really see how we can prefer that it goes beyond the clear part of the image, it makes reading difficult and the overall rendering a bit messy. Limiting it to a few pixels shouldn't change the "horizontal" aspect of things much in my opinion. But would offer more readability, and an even neater interface. But as much, there I can hear it. The attenuation of the background still allows its visibility. I fold for this choice.

Regarding the logo pack, do you have your hands on it? Have you seen my replacement proposal here ? https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=367352&page=135
This should be less debatable. 

Last little question. Do you plan to offer an option one day to activate the automatic launch of trailers on homepage ? Angel 
It would be fire !

Quite frankly, on everything else I have nothing to say, your work is fabulous. Thanks for that !
Good day to you !

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - jurialmunkey - 2023-01-15

(2023-01-15, 12:04)Bindou Wrote: If you are afraid of user reactions, why not ask their opinion? Maybe I'm wrong, but I still feel like it would be better for everyone.

I do not need to ask people's opinions or take a poll because I already know what the response will be. Requests for *WIDER* titles and plot is probably one of the most common requests that gets made.

There hasn't been a single person requesting narrower titles other than you. However, many have requested wider titles. As an example: https://github.com/jurialmunkey/skin.arctic.horizon.2/issues/682

(2023-01-15, 12:04)Bindou Wrote: rather gross "stretching" effect.

Logos are cropped and always use "keep" aspect ratio. They are NEVER stretched, so this is your imagination.

(2023-01-15, 12:04)Bindou Wrote: But, isn't there an automatic way to select horizontal, rather than square, Clear logos when the choice is available ?

No because you choose the artwork not me. It's whatever artwork you add to your library. I don't control your library.

(2023-01-15, 12:04)Bindou Wrote: Regarding the logo pack, do you have your hands on it? Have you seen my replacement proposal here ? https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=367352&page=135
This should be less debatable. 

I don't like the resolution flags you suggest. I don't think they suit the style of the skin at all. If anything I would go the other way and make the logos even more minimalistic.

Flashy logos like you suggest are not my style.

(2023-01-15, 12:04)Bindou Wrote: Last little question. Do you plan to offer an option one day to activate the automatic launch of trailers ? Angel 

I've covered this several times before: Kodi forces all widgets to reload whenever a video stops. Autoplaying trailers will mean that your widgets are constantly reloading everytime a trailer plays which will be a really bad experience. There is no way around this behaviour as it is hardcoded into Kodi.

Clear Logo :
OK Jurial, I'm sticking with the majority in this case. 
(I'm not saying that you should control, but an option to enable/disable (leaving the choice to the user) to automate the selection of a type of Clear logo would be excellent)
My request failed, but I understand the answers. Thank you Jural. Next.

Video Logo :
My logos seem to me less flashy than those currently proposed. It's subjective I agree, but still, red... Those that I propose are in phase with those that you included for the audio tracks. For once, I'm sure that a survey would go in favor of the logos that I propose. Knowing that you have to imagine these in a much smaller size, which in my opinion would make it more "discreet", better "integrated" than the current ones. In addition to that, maybe offered an option in the settings to be able to choose between a "colorful" logo pack and another "minimalist" pack.

Pretty and copyright free is not easy to find. But if these don't suit you, maybe I could find some others that suit you better.  

OSD Player :
Fast forward and Chapter forward bring up the OSD player, but remove it almost instantly. This generates an unpleasant flashing which does not allow to read information from the OSD. In the “behaviour” menu/parameter, you can adjust the appearance delay, but this only has an effect with the OK button on the remote control. Is it possible to leave a delay of 2s when doing a chapter advance and a fast forward with the remote control ?  SVP Angel

Thanking you for the time you take to answer me in a reasoned way.

(2023-01-15, 13:37)jurialmunkey Wrote:
Quote: 
I've covered this several times before: Kodi forces all widgets to reload whenever a video stops. Autoplaying trailers will mean that your widgets are constantly reloading everytime a trailer plays which will be a really bad experience. There is no way around this behaviour as it is hardcoded into Kodi.
Concerning automatic trailers, I had indeed read your answer, but I thought that this argument was obsolete. Because in recent weeks, I've seen Skins that integrated this without causing any problems with the widgets, at least not visibly. How is this explained ? In the meantime, why not offer this as an "option" in the settings, specifying that it is a "beta" feature ? It would allow the most impatient to enjoy it despite the small inconveniences.

If I understand correctly, Kodi would have to stop refreshing/reloading widgets after playing a video for this function to be convincing. Maybe we can make a group request so that Kodi devs can take this into account for future versions ?

Very good day

PS : You who are meticulous and demanding, the QMS and the VRR could be technical advances that you could like. This would substantially increase responsiveness and the feeling of fluidity in general. Perhaps you could play on your humble notoriety to support this claim. What's more, in the long term, these technologies should precisely facilitate the integration of windowed video : https://www.reddit.com/r/kodi/comments/zy5n3n/videos_with_more_than_one_refresh_rate/

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - humdedum - 2023-01-15

This is a truly beautiful skin, quite sad I can't run it on my Shield due to the size of my library, but truly, kudos, it looks absolutely beautiful and works wonderfully well on my PC.

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - etgecata - 2023-01-15

(2023-01-15, 14:50)Bindou Wrote: Video Logo :
My logos seem to me less flashy than those currently proposed. It's subjective I agree, but still, red... Those that I propose are in phase with those that you included for the audio tracks. For once, I'm sure that a survey would go in favor of the logos that I propose. Knowing that you have to imagine these in a much smaller size, which in my opinion would make it more "discreet", better "integrated" than the current ones. In addition to that, maybe offered an option in the settings to be able to choose between a "colorful" logo pack and another "minimalist" pack.

Pretty and copyright free is not easy to find. But if these don't suit you, maybe I could find some others that suit you better.  

OSD Player :
Fast forward and Chapter forward bring up the OSD player, but remove it almost instantly. This generates an unpleasant flashing which does not allow to read information from the OSD. In the “behaviour” menu/parameter, you can adjust the appearance delay, but this only has an effect with the OK button on the remote control. Is it possible to leave a delay of 2s when doing a chapter advance and a fast forward with the remote control ?  SVP Angel

Thanking you for the time you take to answer me in a reasoned way.
I really like the leather. But I would be grateful if you could enter these icons as well.
maybe offered an option in the settings to be able to choose between a "colorful" logo pack and another "minimalist" pack.

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - jurialmunkey - 2023-01-16

(2023-01-15, 14:50)Bindou Wrote: I'm not saying that you should control, but an option to automate the selection of a type of Clear logo would be excellent
Not possible. Skins don't control the artwork selected in your library or plugins.

(2023-01-15, 14:50)Bindou Wrote: Those that I propose are in phase with those that you included for the audio tracks. 
No they aren't.

All codec logos in the skin have open recognisable shapes on transparent backgrounds. The logos you present have closed square solid backgrounds with no recognisable shape differentiation. These are entirely different styles.

Transparency and shape differentiation are essential to allow desaturation and monochrome pallette switching for use in the osd video settings popup. The logos you propose will simply not work with the requirements of the skin.

(2023-01-15, 14:50)Bindou Wrote: Fast forward and Chapter forward bring up the OSD player, but remove it almost instantly. This generates an unpleasant flashing which does not allow to read information from the OSD.
This is a Nexus specific change related to displayafterseek being replaced with a different approach. It will be addressed when Matrix support is discontinued and the skin switches to Nexus-only development. For the time being you will need to live with it as I can't fix it without breaking support for Matrix.

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - Bindou - 2023-01-16

- Regarding the auto selection of Clear Logo, it was purely hypothetical. I know it's currently impossible, but it would be a very powerful tool for Skin creators and it would make things more "plug and play" for users.

- Regarding the OSD, thanks for the answer. I imagine that you will decide to stop supporting Matrix when Nexus is in final version ? So I will be patient.

Thanks

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - hostile17 - 2023-01-16

(2023-01-16, 12:18)Bindou Wrote: - Regarding the auto selection of Clear Logo, it was purely hypothetical. I know it's currently impossible, but it would be a very powerful tool for Skin creators and it would make things more "plug and play" for users.

- Regarding the OSD, thanks for the answer. I imagine that you will decide to stop supporting Matrix when Nexus is in final version ? So I will be patient.

Thanks
I believe final version of Nexus has been released.Although I could be wrong.

Quote:Those that I propose are in phase with those that you included for the audio tracks. 
Quote:No they aren't.

I understand your arguments.
Occasionally, if I have time, I will offer logos without a frame and with a transparent background. Because those red and blue logos are very ugly. ^^

Thank you for your reply.

@hostile17 Nexus is RC.
That said, I don't know if that's the argument that would convince Jurial to focus entirely on Nexus.

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - hostile17 - 2023-01-16

(2023-01-16, 13:16)Bindou Wrote: @hostile17 Nexus is RC.
That said, I don't know if that's the argument that would convince Jurial to focus entirely on Nexus.

The latest  Nexus is not RC

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - jjd-uk - 2023-01-16

Nexus v20.0 was only officially fully released yesterday https://kodi.tv/article/kodi-20-0-nexus-release/

Thanks for the info, I had missed that. Great news, it's progressing fast !