Kodi Community Forum
Beta Arctic Horizon 2 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Skinning (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+---- Forum: WIP Skins (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=160)
+---- Thread: Beta Arctic Horizon 2 (/showthread.php?tid=367352)

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - peebee01 - 2022-11-04

Hi new to this skin, been using AH before this. I’ve installed AH2 on a clean install Vero4k+ running Osmc.tv/Debian bullseye. The issue I have is that I cant reach the settings menu. I’ve read through all posts up until page 60, and found some people had the same issue but never saw a resolution. Is this still a known bug?
I can use my remote to go to the cog wheel on the right but then the menu doesnt load fully, I only see the kodi logo but not the menu entries. Pressing down on the remote in what should be the settings menu jumps back to the most right entry on the top menu “Music’ in my case.
I can’t even change the skin other then removing the .kodi directory.
Ill continue reading the other 60 pages in this thread to see if I find a resolution….. but if someone can point me in the right direction, much appreciated.

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - psp2111-ADSLGATE - 2022-11-04

Quote:Yeah the clearlogo is an additional 40px taller (one grid line) because the plot moved down one grid line. When you overlay the grid you can see how the spacing makes a lot more sense and it makes it fairly clear what my original plan was before I compromised to try to shoehorn the AH1 divider in.

LEFT: OLD version (inconsistent sizing) | RIGHT: NEW version (consistent sizing)
ImageImage

For example, in the *old* (left) version the top logo+infoline only occupies 3 lines (120px) whereas plot+rating is taking 4 lines (160px). There's also 40px of wasted space under the plot (orange scribble) which was left to allow for the AH1 style divider.

By contrast, in the *new* (right) you can see the sizing is more consistent. Logo+Infoline is 4 lines (160px) and ratings+plot is also 4 lines (160px). That weird disconnected 40px additional padding below the plot is gone. Now there is clear symettry between the bottom and top halves of the screen.

Yeah I am with you for this changes 100% 😊
but I think the Font size for titles need to be a bit smaller in case for anyone use bold or thin font instead of clearlogo.

Quote:Yeah I think the buttons not having focus by default is what people are finding the most jarring. I'm not opposed to having them selected by default - there's just a small navigation issue I'm trying to solve because it reduces the available directions for other actions.

There's three actions that need to be available (expand plot, expand recommendations, expand gallery). Currently without the buttons focus there's four directions available (up, down, left, right) so these are mapped left=buttons; right=gallery; up=plot; down=recommendations.

The problem is that with the buttons focused by default, the available actions are reduced to two (left and right). It would make sense for right to open recommendations since they move in from the bottom right; and the gallery could switch sides to the left.

The only issue is finding a way to expand the plot since we lose the "up" action and pressing left doesn't make sense to expand the plot since it is on the right of the poster.

hmm
to be honest I didn't think at all about the actions inside info dialog 😅 and I see your point for that

in the old look the actions were:
up=plot
down=recommendations
left=nothing
right=gallery after moving across all the buttons
"not sure about the last two"

how about this:
make the top "play/browse" button Infocus by defualt and the actions will be:

up=plot
down=nothing "navigate between the buttons"
right=recommendations
left=gallery

I think this will work just fine in my humble opinion
it is just the "plot" will need to be "up" from the top button to get to it.
but I dont think it is a big of a deal since the top button will be Infocus and we have a brief for the "plot" already on info dialog.

one last suggestion 😊 if you dont mind:
I think the buttons will look way better if it vertically centered and maybe a bit bigger but I think making it bigger will move raitings line to out of the screen. 🤔

idk if I explained it right especially the vertical part but I hope you will get it.

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - Zurg - 2022-11-04

Latest update is great thank you but I think in osd is missing the text "Scroll down for chapters and bookmarks"

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - SwedishHeat - 2022-11-04

When I try to update this skin, my screen just goes black. It's like it freezes my device. I'm on a Nvidia Shield. The only button that is responsive on my Shield remote, is the menu button, so I can restart the device. But everytime it's the same result, it always freezes my device. Are there troubleshooting steps?

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - oo_void - 2022-11-04

(2022-11-04, 21:17)SwedishHeat Wrote: When I try to update this skin, my screen just goes black. It's like it freezes my device. I'm on a Nvidia Shield. The only button that is responsive on my Shield remote, is the menu button, so I can restart the device. But everytime it's the same result, it always freezes my device. Are there troubleshooting steps?
That's just the way Kodi reacts when a skin is updated. See this post https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=367352&pid=3116024#pid3116024

Regarding ClearLogo support and jumping through hoops to support it ... It's a good idea in theory, but in practice, it's not a reliable asset to base design decisions on. Just a quick scroll through my library shows that only ~40% of items have an appropriately sized image. The rest are square, slanted, or even worse, have black lettering. A great example is the Clone Wars clearart ...

The square aspect ratio just doesn't work with the skin. Most Marvel movies and Star Wars films (picking on them since they're pretty common in most libraries), follow the same, square logo pattern so I turn that feature off. The wrapping is a nice alternative, but there are leading issues with the current implementation. It would be really nice if you could prioritize the wrapping point against the length of the second line --

Spider-Man:
A Long Way Home

vs.

Spider-Man: A Long
Way Home

-- but I think that approach is beyond what's capable in the skinning engine. Another observation about ClearLogos; it appears that the cache isn't being cleared when the asset is updated. I tried "fixing", or selecting better assets for a few items in the library, but the info screen and full-screen widgets weren't picking up the updates.

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - TheFather999 - 2022-11-04

@jurialmunkey 
Loving your skin and all your revisions. I 100% agree with all your tweaks to date. Fantastic. And thanks for adding the "lovefilm" widget style Been waiting on that one :-)
My question... is a full screen weather widget coming anytime soon? I loved having it sit there, full screen, as part of my quit menu on AH1. Thanks in advance.

(2022-11-04, 21:43)oo_void Wrote:
(2022-11-04, 21:17)SwedishHeat Wrote: When I try to update this skin, my screen just goes black. It's like it freezes my device. I'm on a Nvidia Shield. The only button that is responsive on my Shield remote, is the menu button, so I can restart the device. But everytime it's the same result, it always freezes my device. Are there troubleshooting steps?
That's just the way Kodi reacts when a skin is updated. See this post https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=367352&pid=3116024#pid3116024

Okay, I figured it out. I see in your video how the screen turns black for a few seconds, but on mine, it just remained black. It never came back.

I ended up switching to a different skin, so I didn't have Arctic Horizon 2 active while trying to update it. I reinstalled the dependencies from jurialmunkey's repository. It appeared that I had the latest versions, but I just decided to reinstall them anyway, then when I tried to update the skin again, it worked.

(2022-11-04, 21:58)oo_void Wrote: Regarding ClearLogo support and jumping through hoops to support it ... It's a good idea in theory, but in practice, it's not a reliable asset to base design decisions on. Just a quick scroll through my library shows that only ~40% of items have an appropriately sized image. The rest are square, slanted, or even worse, have black lettering. A great example is the Clone Wars clearart ...

The square aspect ratio just doesn't work with the skin. Most Marvel movies and Star Wars films (picking on them since they're pretty common in most libraries), follow the same, square logo pattern so I turn that feature off. The wrapping is a nice alternative, but there are leading issues with the current implementation. It would be really nice if you could prioritize the wrapping point against the length of the second line --

Spider-Man:
A Long Way Home

vs.

Way Home

-- but I think that approach is beyond what's capable in the skinning engine. Another observation about ClearLogos; it appears that the cache isn't being cleared when the asset is updated. I tried "fixing", or selecting better assets for a few items in the library, but the info screen and full-screen widgets weren't picking up the updates.

I have the same thoughts about clearlogos. I even tried making some of my own that were more horizontally oriented, but when I selected them in the menu, I have the same experience you did. It seems like the old assets are cached, and I can't refresh with new artwork. 

I read a previous post that states it's cached for 24 hours, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. It's been nearly a week since I've added new artwork, I've tried manually refreshing, and some clearlogos are still 'stuck' in their old versions. When I'm in the 'Choose Art' sub-menu, the new clearlogo is displayed, but on the actual library view, it's still the old clearlogo file.

One more thing that I've noticed that would save some space and drastically improve font rendering is this ...

xml:
<font>
<name>font_weathertemp</name>
<filename>RobotoCondensed-Bold.ttf</filename>
<size>107</size>
<style>bold</style>
</font>
<font>
<name>font_infotitle</name>
<filename>RobotoCondensed-Bold.ttf</filename>
<style>bold</style>
<size>107</size>
</font>

You should never "bold" a font that is already bold. Wink There's no official RobotoCondensed-Black, which should be a similar weight to what you're using but with better kerning, but this one looks usable https://github.com/Jackool/roboto-condensed-black-medium/blob/master/Roboto-CondensedBlack.ttf.

RobotoCondensed-Bold.ttf / Bold

RobotoCondensed-Black.ttf

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - jurialmunkey - 2022-11-05

(2022-11-04, 21:58)oo_void Wrote: Regarding ClearLogo support and jumping through hoops to support it ... It's a good idea in theory, but in practice, it's not a reliable asset to base design decisions on.

I agree that clearlogo sizing is unreliable and shouldn't be the basis for design decisions. However, that's not what is happening here.

I should've been clearer in my original post. The recent changes are about undoing earlier design compromises made to accomodate dividers. Expanding the title height has the added benefit of supporting a wider variety of clearlogos, which is a strong factor in the decision but isn't the primary motivation for the change.

My focus here is restoring my original design principles of quadrant symettry aligned to a 40px grid (40px was chosen as a common factor of 1920 and 1080 that is also easily divisible by 2 and 5). I put a lot of thought into these guidelines, so the compromise was always a major point of annoyance.

To demonstrate how this basic principle of grid symettry builds into the guidelines for the info panel:
  • 1 gridline for item padding
  • 2 gridlines for screen edge padding (allows next offscreen item to "peek" 1 gridline).
  • 5 gridlines each for header and footer (2 screen pad + 1 content + 2 screen pad).
  • 8 gridlines each for infopanel and item row: (8 + 8 + 1 pad = 17 which is the screen height minus 10 for header + footer).

Following the principle of symettry, the infopanel is then halved into two 4 gridline areas: one for Title+Infoline and one for Ratings+Plot. This is the primary motivation for changing the title height and, more broadly speaking, the info layout in general.

(2022-11-04, 21:58)oo_void Wrote: It would be really nice if you could prioritize the wrapping point against the length of the second line --

Spider-Man:
A Long Way Home

vs.

Way Home

-- but I think that approach is beyond what's capable in the skinning engine.

Yeah, that's what I *wanted* to do but so far haven't found a way to achieve it in the skinning engine.

The current implementation still needs to be tweaked a bit to find the sweet spot between the wrapping points, the line spacing, and the font size.

I wasn't even sure it was going to be possible to resize and wrap effectively until I had a bit of a lightbulb moment of a trick I could use. That's why I had hesitated for so long in reverting the info spacing changes eventhough I had abadonned the idea of using dividers quite a while back.

(2022-11-04, 21:58)oo_void Wrote: Another observation about ClearLogos; it appears that the cache isn't being cleared when the asset is updated. I tried "fixing", or selecting better assets for a few items in the library, but the info screen and full-screen widgets weren't picking up the updates.

Cropped logos are not cached in any database.

TMDbHelper md5 hashes the source clearlogo url, then uses that hash for the filename of the cropped logo it generates. It only reads the source image and generates a new cropped image if there's no filename with that hash. Which logo it uses is entirely determined by filename. There is no expiry.

The cropped logo will be updated immediately *as long as* the url to the source image is unique - which should be the case for every online logo. You might need to move to a different item and then back again to retrigger the filename check but otherwise it should update straight away.

The only time you might run into issues is if all your artwork is locally saved into item folders as clearlogo.png and you replace the actual file rather than point to a new filename -- In that case, you should also delete the corresponding old cropped logo from `.kodi/userdata/addon_data/plugin.video.themoviedb.helper/crop/` to force TMDbHelper to remake it.

(2022-11-04, 23:45)oo_void Wrote: One more thing that I've noticed that would save some space and drastically improve font rendering is this ...

You should never "bold" a font that is already bold. Wink There's no official RobotoCondensed-Black, which should be a similar weight to what you're using but with better kerning, but this one looks usable https://github.com/Jackool/roboto-condensed-black-medium/blob/master/Roboto-CondensedBlack.ttf.

Bolding the bold font is definitely a workaround due to Kodi limitation rather than a deliberate choice.

I'd be hesistant to use that Black version as it is more than 5 years old and Google frequently update Roboto fonts so the letter forms might differ. The more important issue, however, is that I need to support other character sets such as Arabic, Hebrew, and CJK. There's also a file size concern here because currently fonts make up 40mb, which is more than half the skin's size. For each additional font weight I add, I need 3 fonts to accomodate all the character sets.

Ideally, I would use the Roboto Flex variable font rather than Condensed. The problem is that Kodi font rendering is quite limited and does not currently support variable fonts. Even if I made static versions, I'm still back to the same issue of supporting other character sets.

Realistically, I'm going to be forced into using these font workarounds until Kodi supports proper Noto font fallbacking for other character sets.

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - oo_void - 2022-11-05

Not going to quote that whole response, but that copy Roboto Condensed Black definitely has good character support from my spot-checking. In my music library, I have a lot of classical which means lots of European and Cyrillic names which render perfectly at ~175kb. Also, that was just the first version I came across since it's not included in the Google version, there are probably other versions out there. It's worth giving it a spin considering how well you've structured the skin and how quick of a change it was for me to patch it in. I seem to get about an extra 5-10% horizontal spacing depending on the text and it's definitely a bit more readable since the "counter" portions of the letters aren't filled in with the extra stroke that comes with "bolding" a bold font.

Regarding grids, oh I know your pain. Wink

(2022-11-04, 23:13)SwedishHeat Wrote: I read a previous post that states it's cached for 24 hours, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. It's been nearly a week since I've added new artwork, I've tried manually refreshing, and some clearlogos are still 'stuck' in their old versions. When I'm in the 'Choose Art' sub-menu, the new clearlogo is displayed, but on the actual library view, it's still the old clearlogo file.

Whoever said that the cropped logos are cached for 24 hours is misinformed. Cropped logos are not cached in any database. See my post above for explanation of how cropped logos are saved via filename hash.

(2022-11-05, 07:06)oo_void Wrote: Not going to quote that whole response, but that copy Roboto Condensed Black definitely has good character support from my spot-checking. In my music library, I have a lot of classical which means lots of European and Cyrillic names which render perfectly at ~175kb. Worth giving it a spin considering how well you've structured the skin.

Yeah fonts will have Cyrllic characters standard (I think its Latin, Cyrillic and Greek that are standard for Roboto). It's other character sets like Arabic and Hebrew where I essentially have to make my own fonts by merging Noto with Roboto using fontforge to work around Kodi's limitations. And CJK support is even more complicated.

If I change one definition for the standard set, I also need to make changes for the CJK and the Arabic/Hebrew sets to ensure consistent element spacing.

Though when I mentioned letter forms, I was actually refering to changes in the shapes of letters. Google considers Roboto an "evolving" typeface, so it makes subtle changes to the character shapes over the years.

The most obvious example is the K and R changes from around 10 years back, but they are constantly making tweaks like this to the font:

(2022-11-04, 22:21)TheFather999 Wrote: @jurialmunkey 
Loving your skin and all your revisions. I 100% agree with all your tweaks to date. Fantastic. And thanks for adding the "lovefilm" widget style Been waiting on that one :-)
My question... is a full screen weather widget coming anytime soon? I loved having it sit there, full screen, as part of my quit menu on AH1. Thanks in advance.

Great to hear about the lovefilm widget. It's a bit of a different approach from the old style, so I'm really glad that people are enjoying it. Definitely needs to be used sparingly but I think it provides a some nice variation in the widget styles.

Weather widget definitely planned, just haven't got aroudn to it yet.