Skin options are sometimes completely reset - backup not possible?
Hi,

I use the default theme of KODI 21, but sometimes I start KODI and all my settings on the skin are reset. I then have to set everything up again. For example, the main menu items on the left-hand side. Normally I only want to see Movies, Series, Addons and System there. Instead, suddenly EVERYTHING is there again: music, videos, weather, etc.

After the last incident, I adjusted everything and then saved the guisettings.xml as a backup in a separate folder. So today I simply copied this backed up guisettings.xml into the profile folder and overwrote the guisettings.xml there. I could see from the file size that the saved file is now really in the profile folder.

Exited KODI, restarted KODI completely: No change. Everything is still reset. Also the guisettings.xml file in the profile directory suddenly has a different file size.

Why is that?

A) Why are the skin settings sometimes reset completely?

B) Why can't I simply save the guisettings.xml and simply transfer the reset guisettings.xml?

IMPORTANT: I only have access through the normal "file manager" in KODI. There is no way with adblink or similar on Fire TV Stick 4K Max unfortunately.
Addon settings (ie skins) are saved in the userdata/addon_data/addon_name folder.
(2024-04-20, 09:31)Hitcher Wrote: Addon settings (ie skins) are saved in the userdata/addon_data/addon_name folder.
Hi, which addon do you mean? It is just about the standard Estuary skin and the settings like which entries should be displayed in the main menu, etc. And I can see that in the case where everything is reset at once, the guisettings.xml suddenly has a different file size. So something has changed in the guisettings.xml. And why does that happen in the first place?
Update: Okay, I saved the addon_data/skin.estuary/settings.xml file. Then I changed something in the skin, for example added the "TV" entry for the main menu. Then I copied my saved settings.xml over the existing one, quit KODI, started KODI again: Nothing has changed. The TV entry was still there. So this "backup" did not help at all (same like with the guisettings.xml).
For the backup to work it needs to be copied when Kodi isn't running other wise Kodi will overwrite it when you quit with the current settings.
Okay, I have understood that. But unfortunately, with the Fire TV Stick 4K Max and the current Fire OS, it is NOT possible for me to access these files outside of KODI. Adblink doesn't help either. Fire OS has had a kind of "sandbox system" for some time now, which means that you cannot access such system files "from the outside".

So how am I supposed to overwrite the files AFTER exiting KODI? I have researched and no solution works so far. Only via the File Manager directly in KODI itself (which obviously does not work, as you have correctly written)
The skin settings should not be getting reset like that so you may want to investigate and resolve what is causing that to happen. That said, you may also want to look into using the skin backup addon to backup and restore your skin settings.
@wags1 However, I have now often read that these files are actually overwritten as soon as you leave KODI. So far I can't find a solution.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Skin options are sometimes completely reset - backup not possible?0