• 22(current)
State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024
(2024-04-28, 17:31)hdmkv Wrote: @ashlar, oh yes, easily, significantly faster. And even noticeably faster than Vero V, which has a S905X4 SoC. I've owned both Vero's, liked both, especially V, but sold them because I wanted snappier boxes and DV.
Oh, this sounds great. Thanks for replying.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2024-04-28, 17:31)hdmkv Wrote: @clarkss12, with Arctic Zephyr Reloaded skin, it's under skin settings, "in progress" options become available with the 'Default' or 'Reloaded' indicators.
Thank you, I will testing that soon....
  Did more testing with the settings that you show, still NO "in progress" label using Arctic Zephyr Reloaded skin.  See attached photos.

https://imgur.com/zViME8W
https://imgur.com/fZHM6bh

https://imgur.com/3BkRQjp
(2024-04-28, 17:31)hdmkv Wrote: @ashlar, oh yes, easily, significantly faster. And even noticeably faster than Vero V, which has a S905X4 SoC. I've owned both Vero's, liked both, especially V, but sold them because I wanted snappier boxes and DV.

I am THIS close to pulling the trigger!

How would you compare its performance/snappiness (menu navigation, etc.) to the Shield Pro?
(2024-01-30, 13:07)jbinkley60 Wrote:
(2024-01-30, 06:57)crawfish Wrote: Unfortunately, moving from GT 1030 to RTX 3060ti and i5 4670 to 5800X hasn't improved on this problem, and I'm back to my Android devices. So does anyone know if these N95 or N100 mini PCs play 23.976 properly? Does AMD do better than Nvidia in desktop systems?

I've been using Intel NUCs with Intel UHD graphics chips and LibreElec for years and never had any problems playing 23.976.  These N95, N100s also use Intel graphics chips so as long as the drivers don't have any issues I would hope they perform as well.  I may grab one of these N100s to do some testing.

Jeff

So I ended up getting an N100 not long after this original post above and did some initial performance testing with it.  For the performance benchmarks I do, it is the fastest box I have used or tested so far.  Earlier last week I finally swapped out my main Intel NUC 8i7bek, which has been doing all of my 4K playback, with the N100.  It is running LibreElec 12 beta 2 against my Mezzmo server that has 22K+ video files and 12k+ audio tracks, spread over 135TB of storage.  The media is everything from SD to full bitrate UHD/4K rips. 

Performance and playback have been great.  I did have to disable MPEG2 HW decoding due to an audio  / video sync issue but the N100 is handling OTA broadcast MPEG2 decoding in software with no problems.  Also, I have had to disable passthrough due to a known Intel drive bug  which causes intermittent dropouts.  I had the same issue, to a slightly lesser extent, with the NUC.  Hopefully this will get fixed soon. 

Those 2 issues aside, I am very happy with the N100.  With Mezzmo and the Mezzmo Kodi addon the installation time was about 10 minutes and I was up and running again.  I had been wondering what I would eventually replace the NUC with, since Intel has discontinued that product line.  The N100 is proving to be a solid replacement.  I know for some folks having DV support is a thing.  It wasn't a requirement for my setup so the N100 is perfect so far.

Thanks,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
Quote:@ashlar, oh yes, easily, significantly faster. And even noticeably faster than Vero V, which has a S905X4 SoC. I've owned both Vero's, liked both, especially V, but sold them because I wanted snappier boxes and DV.
Quote:I am THIS close to pulling the trigger!

How would you compare its performance/snappiness (menu navigation, etc.) to the Shield Pro?

One thing you might want to note when comparing these is that the Nvidia shield somewhat unusually supports 4k UI interfaces whereas most Android 11 boxes don't. If you want to do a fair comparison make sure to run both in 1080p and also note that if you wish to run a 4K interface (at least in Kodi the Android TV interface itself doesn't) that probably isn't going to work on most Android devices unless it's the Shield.
(2024-04-29, 02:08)clarkss12 Wrote: Did more testing with the settings that you show, still NO "in progress" label using Arctic Zephyr Reloaded skin.  See attached photos.
Odd. I only use watched, and not in progress, so don't know why this isn't working. I'd ask in the Arctic Zephyr Reloaded skin thread.

(2024-04-29, 02:19)Cinephile Wrote: How would you compare its performance/snappiness (menu navigation, etc.) to the Shield Pro?
Kodi performance is shy of that with Shield Pro, but by a small margin... at least the way I have CoreELEC set-up: 1080p GUI, Arctic Zephyr Reloaded skin, and dual boot option w/CE installed to internal flash storage. On latter link, after you first use a mSD card or USB stick to install/run CoreELEC, you'll get better performance by moving the CE install to the Ugoos' internal flash storage...

As instructed here:
Quote:Yes, dual booting will speed up CoreELEC and remove the need to use external media. To do so, you need to use the ceemc tool. In short, SSH into you device; then run ceemmc -x; type in Y; then type in 1. Once the process is complete, remove your external media and enjoy.
(2024-04-29, 16:25)banggun Wrote:
Quote:One thing you might want to note when comparing these is that the Nvidia shield somewhat unusually supports 4k UI interfaces whereas most Android 11 boxes don't. If you want to do a fair comparison make sure to run both in 1080p and also note that if you wish to run a 4K interface (at least in Kodi the Android TV interface itself doesn't) that probably isn't going to work on most Android devices unless it's the Shield.

It works also on FireTV Android devices, so it's design choice, not Android limitation. 
Anyway, the interest is in CoreElec running on this Amlogic X922-J boxes where these 1080p Kodi UI limitation does not exist...
(2024-04-27, 16:51)hdmkv Wrote: Agree. I've used VS10 with my Dune HD, and previously with Zidoo Z9X, and liked the "enhancement" with some movies, and didn't with others. Colors seemed over-saturated, and had warmer/yellowish palette. Generally, other than DVD/Blu-ray upscaling, I watch stuff in the format they are.
(2024-04-26, 21:26)meridius Wrote: what about  the  VC-1 codec blu rays what happens if there is a problem like the shining, and is there a way to fix it as i have many olde Blu rays like...
2 is there any problems with using a usb dongle and Logitech keyboard with tis unit
3. using any remote like a Logitech
4. can you leave this box running all the time or is it best to power it up from cold and can you boot Straight into Kodi
5. someone said to go for the minix u22-xj unit box is this a better unit than the am6b+
I only have the UHD version of 'The Shining', but no issues with VC-1 playback under CE. Here are two examples of a handful I tried:

Code:
Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : VC-1
Format profile                           : Advanced@L3
Codec ID                                 : V_MS/VFW/FOURCC / WVC1
Codec ID/Hint                            : Microsoft
Duration                                 : 1 min 0 s
Bit rate                                 : 14.0 Mb/s
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Interlaced
Scan order                               : Top Field First
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.226
Stream size                              : 101 MiB (72%)
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No

Code:
Video
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : VC-1
Format profile                           : Advanced@L3
Codec ID                                 : V_MS/VFW/FOURCC / WVC1
Codec ID/Hint                            : Microsoft
Duration                                 : 1 h 51 min
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No

No problems with USB devices.
I'm using a Logitech K400 Plus keyboard w/it. My box stays on all the time; goes to sleep w/default CE/Kodi settings.
Minix U22-XJ or XJ Max may be better, but can't be found to buy. If they pop-up occasionally on eBay, they're ridiculously overpriced.
(2024-04-27, 08:24)meridius Wrote: So you all bought from the Play TV seller at aliexpress ? , I noticed they have two versions...
I can not see anything about the  flirc be used at all with this device ? and can  any usb keyboards as i have a Logitech Bluetooth dongle that a Logitech keyboard connects to
If it's an AMB6+ (the 'plus' is important), you should be fine with one from any AliExpress seller. Each seller promotes the box a little differently. Here are the two sellers I used: first, then for second.

On using Flirc, don't see why it wouldn't work.
(2024-04-27, 09:49)meridius Wrote: also a question we have all been waiting for a all in one box and why are these minix u22xj and am6+ that are 3 year old boxes now suddenly support and run everything  just out on interest
Discovery of dovi.ko secret sauce Smile. I doubt we'll see new boxes able to do full DV like this. Happy accident from what I've read, and certainly not Dolby's intent we have this ability.
what memory size did you buy for coreelec?
Both of my Ugoos AM6B+ units are 4GB RAM / 32GB NAND storage. Plenty for CoreELEC & Kodi use, and also Android with dual boot, where you can optionally add adoptable storage if needed.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Well got my new minix u22xj box yesterday just have to figure out how to install Kodi with Dolby vision now. lol
Walmart seems close to releasing ONN Pro box that will have Dolby Atmos/Vision support. Will be exciting to see how it ranks here.
(2024-05-01, 07:45)meridius Wrote: Well got my new minix u22xj box yesterday just have to figure out how to install Kodi with Dolby vision now. lol

How much did you pay?
(2024-05-01, 23:26)Edworld Wrote:
(2024-05-01, 07:45)meridius Wrote: Well got my new minix u22xj box yesterday just have to figure out how to install Kodi with Dolby vision now. lol

How much did you pay?

£150
(2024-05-01, 23:24)holow29 Wrote: Walmart seems close to releasing ONN Pro box that will have Dolby Atmos/Vision support. Will be exciting to see how it ranks here.

Not sure it will as the minix u22xj and am6b are the only boxes with the right chipset that has full compatibility Dolby vision work around, makes all other boxes a waste of time if you can not play all Dolby vision version file types.
(2024-05-01, 00:07)hdmkv Wrote: Both of my Ugoos AM6B+ units are 4GB RAM / 32GB NAND storage. Plenty for CoreELEC & Kodi use, and also Android with dual boot, where you can optionally add adoptable storage if needed.
Bought one from the links to Ali you posted. It should be with me before the end of May. Now I need to understand how easy/hard it is to add functionalities to CoreELEC. Mainly interested in Wireguard to connect to a VPN and maybe Node-RED to send http commands to my AVR/TV but I don't know if that's possible...
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
  • 22(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 20240