• 2(current)
State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 2024
(2024-01-25, 17:26)izprtxqkft Wrote:
(2024-01-25, 17:20)calev Wrote: And because it's amd_64 can do netflix and other streaming services fine.

you missed the end part of the requirement "in 4K & all HDR formats supported" meaning L1 widevine
but yes i agree it should be added to the list with the deficit that streaming formats will be limited to ~720p (1080 on netflix)
Vero V and Generic AmLogic S905X4 Boxs can't play netflix in 4k. Maybe at 1080p with armbian. Though I am now curious, no n100 box can do 4k Netflix? I can't find much online about it.
And let's not forget @poofyhairguy who originated the list.
(2024-01-25, 18:06)calev Wrote: Though I am now curious, no n100 box can do 4k Netflix?

it's listed right on the github page for the netflix addon https://github.com/CastagnaIT/plugin.vid...esolutions
expect other addons to list the same but can't guarantee they do
I've also been looking for the definitive player for at least a year

for the moment the firestick 4k max gen 2 is enough for me even if unfortunately it has the famous refresh rate bug with my avr (both with denon x2000 and x2800)
However, I regret the nuc with libreelec

Six Homatics s905x4 seemed promising

It's a shame that Android 12 and related AFR are taking months to see the light and DTS HD previously promised will never be released
(2024-01-25, 18:22)izprtxqkft Wrote:
(2024-01-25, 18:06)calev Wrote: Though I am now curious, no n100 box can do 4k Netflix?

it's listed right on the github page for the netflix addon https://github.com/CastagnaIT/plugin.vid...esolutions
expect other addons to list the same but can't guarantee they do
If one uses the box with Windows, Netflix 4K HDR should be doable through the Edge browser (unless the processor and its integrated GPU is incapable of handling it, don't know its specs).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2024-01-25, 22:53)Roby77 Wrote: sto cercando anche io il player definitivo da almeno un anno

per il momento mi faccio bastare la firestick 4k max gen 2 anche se purtroppo presenta il bug famoso del refresh rate con il mio avr (sia con denon x2000 che x2800)
rimpiango peró il nuc con libreelec

Sei Homatics s905x4 sembrava promettere bene

peccato che android 12 e relativo afr stiano impiegando mesi per vedere la luce e dts hd prima promesso non verrá mai rilasciato
What's the "famous bug" with refresh rate? Does it matter for Cube Gen 3 as well?
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2024-01-25, 15:35)ashlar Wrote: First of all, thank you for creating this. As other mentioned, @wrxtasy work has been sorely missed on these forums.

On to the subject, what's the limitation of Cube 3? I mean... so far there's always been something limiting the attractiveness of this boxes to me. Is performance better than on Shield, as I understand from what you write?
Is it capable of handling Dolby Vision in UHD remuxes? Or is that something still impossible to achieve anywhere?
Pardon my ignorance, as I am mainly a Windows Kodi user. I have always tried to remain up to date with this kind of boxes because you never know (ended up buying a Vero last year for the living room, for instance).
FTV Cube 3's performance > Shield TV Pro. Replaced my 3x Shield Pro's with Cube 3's. Yes, it can handle all HDR formats, including DV. No issues playing very high bitrate UHD remuxes (like 'Gemini Man', 'John Wick' series, '1917', etc.) using (in my case) a USB 3.0 ethernet adapter. Some have had success over Wi-Fi 6E. With Kodi, using the Kodi IEC packer option under audio, you also get passthrough of all HD audio formats (including TrueHD, ATMOS, DTS-MA & DTS:X).

The main negatives to Cube 3 are Amazon's cluttered, ad-filled UI and 100M LAN vs. Gigabit. But, on latter, with a decent ethernet adapter, you can get 400+ Mbps, which is plenty for the highest bitrate (or peak bitrate) UHD rips.

Re: PC's and Windows options, I can certainly add them to the list. Can someone list which configurations might be 'recommended' (Intel vs. AMD, prebuilt mini-PC's vs. custom-built, graphics card, etc.)? Can also note that using madVR, you can get as good (or better) tonemapping even w/o HDR10+ & DV.
(2024-01-25, 18:19)selfcontained Wrote: And let's not forget @poofyhairguy who originated the list.

Thank you for reminding us......  Another one faded away.....
Hi, do you use any particular version of KODI on your Cube?
Yes, need to use v21 or nightly. I'm using v21 Beta 2 for now. 32-bit as FTV doesn't support 64-bit. In audio settings, choose Kodi IEC packer option.
(2024-01-26, 00:47)hdmkv Wrote: The main negatives to Cube 3 are Amazon's cluttered, ad-filled UI and 100M LAN vs. Gigabit.

When you skip forward or back in a video, do you get a tiny audio dropout within a second of playback resuming? That is, the skip will appear to execute perfectly, but within a second, I usually observed a micro audio dropout listening through wired headphones. I was unable to eliminate it by adjusting settings such as "Keep audio device alive". This doesn't happen with my CCwGTV or Onn 4K (2023) box, all devices running Omega Beta 2. I just bought a Cube 3 last weekend and returned it for this reason plus no improvement to the UI flashbang when starting videos and matching refresh rates, which I see on all these Android devices. This glitch consists of an initial couple of seconds of black screen, which is expected, but then the Kodi home screen usually flashbangs, and playback starts. Again, playing with settings doesn't help this.

The only benefit I found to the Cube 3 was that it loaded Estuary movies Wall view in just a couple of seconds, using local Thumbnails, which is possible thanks to the 16 GB storage. With Thumbnails redirected to an SSD on my PC, the CCwGTV takes 3-4 seconds, and the Onn takes 4-5 seconds. This is with them using wired adapters. Wirelessly, they are both just terrible at entering movies Wall view, taking 10 seconds for the CCwGTV and 12 seconds for the Onn. This is every single time.
Hmm, can't say I've run into this issue for a while. Recall @fritsch had implemented something to address the issue sometime back, when you skipped ahead/back, audio would synch after a bit. But, I may be misremembering.

Would love to add Onn, Chromecast with Google TV & similar options to the list, but no HD audio passthrough unfortunately.
(2024-01-25, 22:53)Roby77 Wrote: sto cercando anche io il player definitivo da almeno un anno

per il momento mi faccio bastare la firestick 4k max gen 2 anche se purtroppo presenta il bug famoso del refresh rate con il mio avr (sia con denon x2000 che x2800)
rimpiango peró il nuc con libreelec

Sei Homatics s905x4 sembrava promettere bene

peccato che android 12 e relativo afr stiano impiegando mesi per vedere la luce e dts hd prima promesso non verrá mai rilasciato
Agree, looks like DTS-HD passthrough isn't coming on Android side w/S905X4-J/K SoC-based players.

What is the refresh rate bug with FTV Stick 4K Max?
I went down a single box approach a few years ago and decided the ultimate solution didn't yet exist and went a 2 box solution (one for local content with Kodi and the second for online streaming services of all types) for a few reasons and I have been extremely happy with my decisions.

By separating the major functions I significantly improve stability, ease of support and two boxes allow me better choices for each function vs trying to force fit into one.  I don't have to worry about the not being able to upgrade a box for online streaming will break something for local streaming or vice verse.  Trying to downgrade back can be problematic and may introduce its own issues/ Likewise I improve security. 

My Kodi / local clients don't have Internet access and can only access my local network.  Likewise my online streaming devices can't access anything important on my local network but have Internet access. I won't mention where many of the online boxes are manufactured nor some of the OS differences needed for local vs. Internet access.  IoT Cybersercurity risks are very real.

Yes, the downside of this is a slight cost increase but it pales in comparison to the costs of everything else in my system.  I do continue to upgrade both sets of boxes as technology  improves  but I can do it without the worry of complicated box management.  I could go on but I just wanted to share some additional thoughts as folks think about box choices and their overall system architecture.

For Kodi only boxes the biggest differentiator I see is DV support.  Take that out of the equation and the solution set is far larger.  For me I will give that up for more choices.

My 2 cents,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
(2024-01-26, 00:47)hdmkv Wrote: Can someone list which configurations might be 'recommended'

i would recommend the new N100/Intel UHD MiniPCs as a contender in the x86/64 space, it's quite good and the form factor is close to the options listed

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/...0-ghz.html

i did a review on one but that specific one is no longer available https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=375492
and i never tested anything other than LibreELEC, the state of HDR+ might be in question - the box was outputting RGB 12b but i never noticed if it triggered HDR
that's just to say i think it's a solid little combo but needs a better review than i provided
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
State of Kodi Media Players: Best Options in 20240