customize kodi notifications
hi

i am trying to change the style of the standard kodi notification box. 
I have set up Home Assistant to send a notification to kodi whenever my AVR changes volume (AVR is in a cupboard). This notification is displayed on screen and works.

now i would like to change its style. the way it looks right now is that i get a box displayed top right of the screen with "Home Assistant" (i.e. source) in big/bold letters and then the actual message in smaller letters below.

I would like to have it the other way around: Display the source in small letters at the top and the acutal message (i.e. AVR's volume) in big bold letters. Furthermore i don't really need the icon displayed but i might just change that to a custom icon (that's apparently pretty simple to change).

i have no clue on how to achieve this and my research wasn't really successful so far.. so any ideas much appreciated. thanks!
I am here for the exact same thing. Let me know if you found a way to do this…
sorry haven't had time to look into it further but i wasn't really succesful in my research for info either... all i found was this thread:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=178734
The Notification popup is defined within the in-use skin via skinning language.  There is a file within the the skin, DialogNotification.xml, which defines how it is displayed.

Kodi supplies 3 built-in data elements for the notification.  These are defined in the skins as "controls" with Kodi-defined "id"s.  id="400" is an "image control" that provides a file pathname to the image file that is displayed.  The "image control" sets the position, size, and visibility condition for the image.  id="401" is a "label control" which displays the "heading" and id="402" is the text of the notification.  Both of these use Kodi-supplied text that is routed through language localization.

The easiest approach is just to play with the dialog and control dimensions.  Your skin might make use of Kodi skin macro language and variables (signified by use of <include/> element and $VAR directive).  You will need to search for these in the skins "include_something_.xml files.

I suggest asking in the skin support forum for your skin for help from a modder, as they could point you to the exact part of the skin to mod for this.

If you are using default skin Estuary, I suggest cloning the Kodi addon folder "skin.estuary" to your userdata addons, giving the folder a unique name like "skin.estuary_mymod" and edit addon.xml file to match, then switch to that skin in Kodi settings and make your changes to that clone, not the original.  Kodi will find your new skin mod, but it will be set to "disabled" in addon settings until you enable it.

Looking at Estuary dialognotification.xml, it shouldn't be too hard to get what you want.  Use the wiki Skinning_Manual (wiki) to get details.

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
customize kodi notifications0