Does RPi4 support 3D video playback?
I tired some searching but it's hard to find much information when you can't search for words like 3D or MVC.  Adding another "common" word, like "movie", "playback" or "video" brings up 100+ hits,  of which maybe 1 or 2 may be relevant.

Anyway, I'm new to the RPi HTPC scene, and I just bought an RPi 4 it supposedly supports native 3D MVC playback.  So, the primary goal is to see if I can make 3D MVC or 3D ISOs play correctly in Frame Packed mode.

Unfortunately, I just can't make this unit work correctly at all.  I tried the latest version of OSMC 2023.01-1, I also tried LibreElec 11.0.1, as well as LibreElec 9.2.8.

On OSMC and LibreElec 11, whenever I play a regular Side-By-Side 3D movie, the guy immediately changes to that mode, but the video resizes to about half the total width, and full screen height, while still in split screen.  Disabling 3D mode from the menu reverts the GUI to normal screen, and restores the original aspect ratio of the SBS movie.  In this mode I can manually select the 3D mode on my TV and make it work, but any subs or GUI display will be overlapped.

I tried changing every available option I could find, but It only gets worse.  For example deselecting the DRM Prime Decoder, or selecting EGL, doubles up the images on the screen So I now have 4 images.  Last but not least, MVC movies play in 2D.  The TV's 3D function never gets triggered, and the KODI GUI remains in 2 D mode.  Standard HD (non-3D videos) work fine.

I also downloaded LibreElec 9.2.8, because I read somewhere that this was the last version to support hardware 3D?  This version plays ALL 3D movies as 2D.  It doesn't matter if the movie is MVC, SBS or TAB, it plays them in 2D.  The GUI recognizes the format, and chnages to that mode, but the TV output is 2D, and in the correct aspect ratio

So what am I doing wrong?  does the RPi 4 support MVC/Frame Packed 3D, heck, does it even support simple HSBS or HTAB formatted movies?
Since Pi moved from proprietary (mmal) interfaces to standard (v4l2/gbm) interfaces for video decode and render,
it gets the standard kodi support for 3D under gbm (which is nothing working currently).

I believe kodi using mmal (so LE 9) should support MVC decode and frame packed 3D output.
Make sure you have "adjust display refresh rate to match video" enabled.

If you still have an issue then post a debug enabled log file when trying to play a 3D file.
(2023-03-30, 12:13)popcornmix Wrote: I believe kodi using mmal (so LE 9) should support MVC decode and frame packed 3D output.
Make sure you have "adjust display refresh rate to match video" enabled.

I've tried LE 9.2.8, and 3D all videos, regarding of format (Frame Packed (MVC or ISOs), HSBS or HTAB play in 2D only.  The GUI changes to the appropriate mode, but the video itself is just 2D. 

I've tried all the different modes of "Adjust Display Refresh Rate" (Start, Start/Stop, Always, Off), I tried these modes WITH and without "Sync playback Display".  No luck.

Regarding the debug log.  I enabled debugging, and when I try to paste the log using "Upload latest Kodi log and configs", it fails.  But I can upload the "crash log and configs".  However, it doesn't tell me much as to what's happening, all the entries for today (march 30), are basic configurations.  Probably because it hasn't actually crashed.  Here is this log.

http://ix.io/4sfk

any ideas why it fails to upload the other log?
Nothing useful in that log.
You should be able to grab the log using ssh/scp or samba
See: https://wiki.libreelec.tv/support/log-files
Managed to finally upload the log:

http://ix.io/4sn2

I played 2 movies, Alita Battle Angel, which is a MVC file, and The Amazing Spiderman, which is basic HSBS.  Alita plays in 2D, and the GUI remains normal (full screen).  Spiderman play in 2D as well, but the KODI GUI changes to HSBS.  The video though, is full size frame (not split), just as if you were watching a normal 2D movie.
@popcornmix
So, did you get a chance to look at the logs?  Any ideas as to what's going on?
A little late on the reply, I’ve been working with libreelec for the last couple of days and the only version I have access to that plays my 3d Mvc files is 9.2.0, and only on rpi 3, I can’t get rpi 4 to work yet, my rpi 4 is 8gb so I had to move files from 10.0.4 to 9.2.8 to get to play but still no 3d, I’ll try adjusting the refresh later and update.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does RPi4 support 3D video playback?0