General HDR on Kodi v20 Linux builds discussion
How about SDR content? Could you play some SDR stuff and also post a Debug Log? Wondering if still 10 bit is rendered and then kernel scales it down finally? (Might work okayish, leaving limited / full range) for a moment out of discussion.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2024-05-06, 21:03)fritsch Wrote: How about SDR content? Could you play some SDR stuff and also post a Debug Log

debug log
Thanks. Yeah - cannot fully follow the code. What it should maybe do:
Use the proper BT2020 transformation so that we have proper sRGB at the end - and then just output 10 bit precision.

Seems "the kernel" does the right thing? SDR looks good, colors fine?
The visuals used are the same 10 bit.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2024-05-06, 22:33)fritsch Wrote: SDR looks good, colors fine?

Sure, it looks fine.
So what's the conclusion? Is it worth enabling HDR on my intel x86 kodi box, assuming I want to view content as the director intended?

If not, should the option just be hidden on such platforms? Maybe Irusak has some comments?
If you have an Intel platform sure enable it. What I don't get in all these discussions: it always seems that people need external feedback if their stuff looks good or not.

This is oelbaum gold cable Niveau. If you are happy and you like the look use it.

Technical details and suboptimal parts were now discussed. Maybe people are not aware of the following.

Btw. on android without a HDMI detective situation is not globally better. Here some Blackbox without any idea what is done internally happens. People trust their HDR lamp, their passthrough lamp, the comments of a stranger, etc. Atmos in Google in a very cheap DD+ stream and such things. Marketing will increase the chocolate ratio for all of us at some point ;-)

Use your ears and eyes for your final verification.
There are no issues viewing HDR content "as director intended" as long as you are using:
1. Kodi 21/22 GBM
2. Intel box with an HDMI 2.0 port, so it can actually pass the HDR metadata to the display and also switch the display to BT.2020 mode.

If the display's EDID reports no HDR support, HDR passthrough would be disabled and tonemap options (Hable, Reinhard, ACES Filmic) would be available instead.
HDR passthrough could also be disabled manually in settings->player->Adjust display HDR mode->off
(2024-05-11, 16:14)fritsch Wrote: If you have an Intel platform sure enable it. What I don't get in all these discussions: it always seems that people need external feedback if their stuff looks good or not.

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me it really is about viewing the content with reasonably accurate colors. I think it should be left up to the film makers whether a scene looks good or not. I do see your point about having to trust all of the black boxes in the chain though.
(2024-05-11, 16:20)smp1 Wrote: There are no issues viewing HDR content "as director intended" as long as you are using:
1. Kodi 21/22 GBM
2. Intel box with an HDMI 2.0 port, so it can actually pass the HDR metadata to the display and also switch the display to BT.2020 mode.

If the display's EDID reports no HDR support, HDR passthrough would be disabled and tonemap options (Hable, Reinhard, ACES Filmic) would be available instead.
HDR passthrough could also be disabled manually in settings->player->Adjust display HDR mode->off

Thanks. Does Kodi also need to be built with GLES instead of GL?

The last time I tried HDR was early 2023. I compiled it with some HDR patches, GLES, GBM. The TV switched to HDR mode, but colors were generally a little darkish, grayish and washed out. Hoping there have been improvements since then!
(2024-05-12, 03:19)halfproxy Wrote:  Does Kodi also need to be built with GLES instead of GL? 
Yes.
Quote:The last time I tried HDR was early 2023. I compiled it with some HDR patches, GLES, GBM. The TV switched to HDR mode, but colors were generally a little darkish, grayish and washed out. Hoping there have been improvements since then!
The above mentioned bt2020 PR was merged in August, 2023. If you compiled without it - no wonder the colors were off.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
General HDR on Kodi v20 Linux builds discussion0