Release Image Resource selection script
Awesome work, I added to Phenomenal.
Phenomenal™ Skin • ForumWebsiteGitHub
hey ronie,
I wonder if there is any documentation for this?

I'm working on a new feature to my skin, to allow users to choose backgrounds\icons pack for home menus.
I added some packs to a private repository (I don't know if it's ok to send them to the official repo..)
for the packs, I'm using "backgrounds" type for home backgrounds, and "icons" type for menu icons.
I wonder if it's ok to use my "own" types... and maybe we need to handle some list for other skinners,
so if other skinners will make packs like me, they will use the same type..

we need to keep on some kind of uniformity for the types, don't you think?
(2016-02-23, 11:32)tomer953 Wrote: hey ronie,
I wonder if there is any documentation for this?
there's a README included in the addon whith info for skinners on how to use it.

(2016-02-23, 11:32)tomer953 Wrote: I'm working on a new feature to my skin, to allow users to choose backgrounds\icons pack for home menus.
I added some packs to a private repository (I don't know if it's ok to send them to the official repo..)
ofc it's ok to send those to the addon repo ;-)

(2016-02-23, 11:32)tomer953 Wrote: for the packs, I'm using "backgrounds" type for home backgrounds, and "icons" type for menu icons.
I wonder if it's ok to use my "own" types... and maybe we need to handle some list for other skinners,
so if other skinners will make packs like me, they will use the same type..

we need to keep on some kind of uniformity for the types, don't you think?

yup, it's basicallly what i said here:

(2016-02-03, 11:25)ronie Wrote: nope, there's no such list.

though all image packs of the same type are expected to use the same type name ofc.

if you submit a new resource addon to the repo that doesn't fit in any of the existing types,
you can pick a new type name. just use something that's descriptive of the contents.

perhaps "backgrounds" and "icons" are a bit too generic.
maybe 'skinbackgrounds' and 'menuicons' or 'categoryicons' would be a better fit...
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
NP. i'll change to
skinbackgrounds
skinicons

still I think we need to manage a list.

edit:
any maybe a link to the git project in the main post: https://github.com/ronie/script.image.resource.select
I needed to google it Wink
and just to share,
a designer called Orna is working about 7-10 packs for backgrounds and icons.
I gave her my skin menus, which is 15 total defaults menu, and she almost finished to make them all.
you can take a look in the progress here:

I will send some of them to the Official repo later this week.
Just a HU, I never had a cancel button 7 in DialogSelect, but with the recent change in Krypton, the script aborts if control 7 isn't present.

scott s.
(2016-03-13, 11:57)scott967 Wrote: Just a HU, I never had a cancel button 7 in DialogSelect, but with the recent change in Krypton, the script aborts if control 7 isn't present.

scott s.

it's part of the required skin changes for krypton:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2187420
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
(2016-03-13, 12:00)ronie Wrote:
(2016-03-13, 11:57)scott967 Wrote: Just a HU, I never had a cancel button 7 in DialogSelect, but with the recent change in Krypton, the script aborts if control 7 isn't present.

scott s.

it's part of the required skin changes for krypton:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2187420
Hi Ronie,

I've added a cancel button with id 7 to DialogSelect.xml in Krypton, but the cancel button doesn't do anything when clicked from the image resource selection script. Anywhere else the select dialog is called, the close button closes the dialog. Does the image resource selection script need to be updated for Kodi 17 Krypton? Thanks!
(2016-04-08, 04:59)braz Wrote: I've added a cancel button with id 7 to DialogSelect.xml in Krypton, but the cancel button doesn't do anything when clicked from the image resource selection script. Anywhere else the select dialog is called, the close button closes the dialog. Does the image resource selection script need to be updated for Kodi 17 Krypton? Thanks!

thx for the reminder. thought i'd already taken care of it...

updated version is on it's way to the krypton addon repo.
Hi Ronie,

while I understand that the name of the script is Image Resource Selection script, it has occurred to me that another resource type that would be useful would be a Playlist resource. Most skins seem to include playlists of various types (probably most of which are duplicated) and could it probably benefit the users to have a selection of pre coded playlists to select from.

What are your feelings on Kodi (and by extension your script) supporting playlist resources? Should I bother to get together some playlists for a resource and if so, what directory structure should I use (same as the Kodi playlist directory structure?) ?

Wyrm
If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

FAQ's located at :- http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:AppTV
i think you're skipping a few steps...
this first of all would need to be implemented in kodi.
sadly it's not as easy as let's add a new resource addon type and expect things to work :-)

the main idea behind image resources was for skins to loose some weight,
as those image packs can be quite large.
with playlists, which are small text files, this isn't an issue.

if you want to pursue your idea, check if there many skin devs interested in it,
the find a kodi dev who is interested in adding this functionality.

worrying about the directory structure of the actual addon will come last ;-)
(2016-04-13, 18:04)ronie Wrote: i think you're skipping a few steps...
this first of all would need to be implemented in kodi.
sadly it's not as easy as let's add a new resource addon type and expect things to work :-)
Sorry mate I obviously had the wrong end of the stick on how resources work. I was under the impression that resource handling was just another VFS container type and new types could be handled by adding a new category to the Kodi repo. I guess not.

Quote:the main idea behind image resources was for skins to loose some weight,
as those image packs can be quite large.
with playlists, which are small text files, this isn't an issue.
yep weight not so much an issue, but avoiding reinventing the wheel over and over would also be something to come from resource usage. Also most users are only using a very small percentage of what Kodi is capable of, as they are unaware of it potential. Bringing some of this potential to users attention is also something worth pursuing.

Quote:if you want to pursue your idea, check if there many skin devs interested in it,
the find a kodi dev who is interested in adding this functionality.
Yep will definitely follow up as long as no squirrels cross my path. I don't suppose you know where in the Kodi source tree this is handled. Might try to get my feet wet in some real code.

Quote:worrying about the directory structure of the actual addon will come last ;-)
think of the request as a nested if. First part was a fail, so don't even consider the second part ;-)

Wyrm (Underpants Gnome)
If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

FAQ's located at :- http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:AppTV
(2016-04-14, 06:07)wyrm Wrote: Yep will definitely follow up as long as no squirrels cross my path. I don't suppose you know where in the Kodi source tree this is handled. Might try to get my feet wet in some real code.

perhaps looking at the code that added the image resource functionality could get you started:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/7361/c...25dc209d55
Hey,
ich nutze Krypton RC3 und es werden in einer LIST keine Icon mehr angezeigt.
Weder Genre noch Studio.

Beispiel:
$INFO[Skin.String(moviegenreicons.path)]$INFO[ListItem.Label]$INFO[Skin.String(moviegenreicons.ext)]

Ich bin der Meinung in Jarvis ging es noch.

TRANSLATE (google):
Hey,
I use Krypton RC3 and no more icons are displayed in a LIST.
Neither genre nor studio.

Example:
$ INFO [Skin.String (moviegenreicons.path)] $ INFO [ListItem.Label] $ INFO [Skin.String (moviegenreicons.ext)]

I am of the opinion in Jarvis it was still.

bg
inside list containers, you can only use ListItem.* infolabels.
it is not possible to use Skin.* infolabels inside lists.

i don't think this worked in jarvis tbh.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Image Resource selection script0