Advanced settings to optimize 4K SMB or NFS streaming over Wi-Fi?
(2023-12-26, 23:35)theo08 Wrote: Thanks for sharing

Interesting, might check that again!

Also I never tried NFS4 always left it at 3

But I am kind of tired of fiddling around since it is working now Big Grin
Right, if it's working now why mess with it Smile
Kodi Omega (arm64) nightly, nVidia Shield Pro 2019 SE 9.1.1+Hotfix (Android 11), Samsung Q8FN, Synology DS1821+ DSM 7.2.1-69057 Update 4
I did some testing this morning with my FireCube3 using the 10-bit JellyFish samples and various connections. Cache 512MB, Buffersize 512KB.  The results are interesting: 

Code:
+-----------------------+-----------+
| Access Type           | Max Mbps  |
| FireTV Device Storage | 400       |
| USB Stick             | 140       |
| USB ENet Adapter SMB  | 140       |
| USB ENet Adapter HTTP | 200       |
| WiFi 6 SMB            | 90        |
| WiFi6 HTTP            | 300       |
| Laptop WiFi6 SMB      | 400       |
| Laptop WiFi6 HTTP     | 400       |
The laptop lines are from the same room on a fairly high end laptop running Omega 2 - rules out a server issue in my opinion.

Pass/fail was determined by hitting 'shift/ctrl-o' during playback, and observing that VQ (buffer) stayed above 0.

Basically my conclusions:
  • The SMB performance of the FireCube is very poor, and is made worse by WiFi
  • If you must use SMB, use a USB Ethernet adapter
  • The WiFi6 actually performs better than the USB Ethernet adapter with HTTP
  • Use HTTP (Emby/Plex etc. direct streaming) if you can

It is great that these buffer settings were finally fixed, I have tried to use them for years and not seen much effect.  However the additional buffer will only help on very corner-cases.  Like if a video hits a high bitrate for a short amount of time - will definitely help.
(2024-01-20, 20:12)xnappo Wrote: The SMB performance of the FireCube is very poor, and is made worse by WiFi
This is not only the case with the FireCube. Probably affects pretty much all Android boxes.
https://www.kodinerds.net/thread/77950-v.../?pageNo=7
here in post #128 a user has also made interesting tests...
--> SBM + KODI + WIFI works very very bad
512MB Cache is way too much on a device with small memory IMO.

Are you using a 1GBE usb to Ethernet adapter. It’s limited by usb 2.0 to 480Mbps (theoretically). I get 380 on my network with FTV 4K Max (Network test).
(2024-01-22, 10:00)-locha- Wrote: https://www.kodinerds.net/thread/77950-v.../?pageNo=7
here in post #128 a user has also made interesting tests...
--> SBM + KODI + WIFI works very very bad

Thanks - his data seems to correlate with mine as does much of the discussion there.
(2024-01-22, 10:29)HomerJau Wrote: 512MB Cache is way too much on a device with small memory IMO.

Are you using a 1GBE usb to Ethernet adapter. It’s limited by usb 2.0 to 480Mbps (theoretically). I get 380 on my network with FTV 4K Max (Network test).

Just set the cache that way to ensure it was way more than enough.  Not set that way permanently Smile 

Yes, USB adapter is limited to about 380 as you said.  It is interesting that the WiFi6 performance is better using Iperf and better using HTTP, but worse using SMB.

Anyway, the data speaks for itself Smile
(2024-01-20, 20:12)xnappo Wrote: Basically my conclusions:
  • The SMB performance of the FireCube is very poor, and is made worse by WiFi

• If you must use SMB, use a USB Ethernet adapter

• The WiFi6 actually performs better than the USB Ethernet adapter with HTTP

• Use HTTP (Emby/Plex direct streaming) if you can

In addition to Emby / Plex, Mezzmo and Jellyfin are also options for HTTP as a transport.  Mezzmo defaults to HTTP as the client transport protocol and doesn't offer SMB to the clients, just to the back-end storage, which is abstracted away from the clients by the Mezzmo server.  Earlier in this thread I posted some performance results with 6 clients streaming simultaneously a combination of 1080P and UHD full bitrate streams with a 10TB local file copy going on at the same time to stress the system. 

The net of this is that I've been using HTTP as the client transport with Mezzmo for 10+ years over Ethernet and WiFi to many different clients from Raspberry Pis, Vero 4K+ / Vs, Intel NUCs and more and have never had any issues with performance.  I fully concur with HTTP operating more smoothly.  I also enjoy not having to open up SMB sharing to all my clients.  I keep it local to the Mezzmo server and any remote storage.

Just my 2 cents.

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.
another problem w the 4kmax Wifi seems to be how unreliable the connection / bandwidth is

i have it connected to my router via wifi 6. this worked for quite some time until i ran into buffering issues again recently. checked the wifi performance via iperf on local network (server connected via gigabit) and the throughput was abysmal.

took a couple of reboots for the wifi on the 4kmax to get back into the mood.... i have just ordered a 480mbit ethernet adapter i am too fed up w this nonsense (which is even more aggravating since they couldn't evcen be bothered to add USB-C to a 2023 device)
Never done HTTP streaming. Only NFS & SMB. I see mention of Plex & Emby. Possible with Kodi? If so, how does one set this up? I see this wiki guide, but can a share be added just like with SMB/NFS? Wondering if one also needs to do something on the NAS side to allow this.
(2024-02-03, 01:03)hdmkv Wrote: Never done HTTP streaming. Only NFS & SMB. I see mention of Plex & Emby. Possible with Kodi? If so, how does one set this up? I see this wiki guide, but can a share be added just like with SMB/NFS? Wondering if one also needs to do something on the NAS side to allow this.
There are several servers you can use to stream to Kodi, basically you would choose one and scrape your library, then use the Addon for Kodi to interface with it.
Emby
Plex
Jellyfin
Mezzmo

All of these replace the process of scraping info within Kodi, you do the scraping on the server and then Kodi is just the skin/player.

It is a much better way to handle it really - because the database can be shared among many devices.
(2024-02-03, 01:03)hdmkv Wrote: Never done HTTP streaming. Only NFS & SMB. I see mention of Plex & Emby. Possible with Kodi? If so, how does one set this up? I see this wiki guide, but can a share be added just like with SMB/NFS? Wondering if one also needs to do something on the NAS side to allow this.

jellyfin is exceptional simple
https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/installation/
i prefer to use docker https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/instal.../container

then you just need a client https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/clients/kodi
Jellyfin for Kodi syncs directly to the Kodi DB and everything from Kodi looks like normal local files (recommended)
Jellycon works in addon mode where you would open the addon to play anything and nothing goes into the Kodi database (has it's use but not great)

(2024-02-03, 01:56)xnappo Wrote: It is a much better way to handle it really - because the database can be shared among many devices.

plus the addition of clients for devices where Kodi may not be appropriate or convenient, cell phones for example
and maintained watched states/resume points so you can switch between any client including Kodi and you're still at the same point you were at
and internet streaming to your clients with configurable bitrate limits where it live transcodes (if you set it up that way)

If you have a Synology NAS, you can install WebDAV Server on it and configure it.

You can then add an HTTP source to Kodi in the same way that you would add an SMB/NFS source. Just make sure you add the port number that you configure in WebDAV to the URL.

If you decide to look at Mezzmo the Wiki page is here and How it works is here.  Here is the Kodi support forum where update information is posted and you can get help.  My main advice to folks looking at Kodi sharing solutions is to think about what things are most important to you.  While many features are similar like centralized management, library scraping, non-Kodi client support and similar there are a number of things which are different including library management / customization, artwork management, automation, multiple trailer support, combined GUI / native mode operation, server side plugins / channels and more.  Some of these are not readily apparent at first glance and take deeper analysis.

Good luck,

Jeff
Running with the Mezzmo Kodi addon.  The easier way to share your media with multiple Kodi clients.
Service.autostop , CBC Sports, Kodi Selective Cleaner and Mezzmo Kodi addon author.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advanced settings to optimize 4K SMB or NFS streaming over Wi-Fi?0