Upscaling...Revisted
Hello!

The problem is, I wasn't converting it myself, since I don't have video capture card. It was done by some guy about 10 years ago, and he probably haven't had an idea what he was doing Smile he probably used some default settings, or he wrongly set it up himself.

Best regards,
Davor
(2024-01-11, 18:34)crawfish Wrote: Maybe it's not so much low end as it is Android version.
i think it's really manufacturer
some make devices just to sell devices and you can lump in the "android TV" smart TVs, as long as they sell their device they couldn't be bothered
then some make devices that they actually expect you to use after the purchase

price point is just a starting flag to say you might want to pay closer attention
as far as the Onn, they probably expect to sell you services after the fact same as Amazon devices so your continued use is in their interest

(2024-01-11, 21:30)Sholander Wrote: Yes, and that is only "motherboard" on your link. Besides that you have to buy a power adapter, some form of storage media and a BT/WiFi adapter to make it complete as an "Android box"...

seems a little steep in price for what is basically a recycled FireTV Cube Gen2 from 2019 (with a CPU/GPU from 2018), at least those come with a case and power supply, does odroid even give you a remote?

(2024-01-11, 19:53)davorf Wrote: I've ended up with 624x352

at least you know where the issue is, hope the ffmpeg link works out
(2024-01-12, 00:22)izprtxqkft Wrote: i think it's really manufacturer
some make devices just to sell devices and you can lump in the "android TV" smart TVs, as long as they sell their device they couldn't be bothered
then some make devices that they actually expect you to use after the purchase

price point is just a starting flag to say you might want to pay closer attention
as far as the Onn, they probably expect to sell you services after the fact same as Amazon devices so your continued use is in their interest

If Walmart is trying to do that, they're certainly not in your face about it. The 2023 Onn box is a slightly slower, much less expensive CCwGTV with a much better remote, a remote that you can pair with a CCwGTV. It's cheap enough that people buy it to do that. It's not like Amazon devices with a proprietary, restricted App Store; you get the Google store just like with CCwGTV. Same thing with the home page. It's Google TV, not Amazon crap. Back when I was using mine, I never had to wade through anything Walmart-specific to use it. That said, I configured it to stay in Kodi 24/7, which it did. I haven't looked at an Amazon device since Google gifted me a CCwGTV at launch (I want to say 2020ish), but I did the same 24/7 Kodi thing with my Fire Stick 4K for a couple of years prior to that, and it wasn't awful.

I was out of the PC for Kodi for 5+ years, and I've only recently taken another look due to the Android glitch when starting playback and matching refresh rates I mentioned in my last message. So far, so good on the PC, and hopefully it holds up so I'm not driven back to Android for whatever problem I can't seem to solve, and I was always finding some reason I wanted to get out of the PC business for Kodi. ISTR last time, it was non-reproducible frame skips that would occur once every hour or two.
(2024-01-11, 23:01)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2024-01-11, 19:53)davorf Wrote: Hello!

This is exactly the case. Analogue SD content was digitized by so called "professional" (actually, just a guy that bought video capture card to convert analogue tapes to digital format for a charge), and I've ended up with 624x352 videos. I haven't had time to try izprtxqkft's suggestion to convert it with ffmpeg yet.

And regarding Android, Fire cube 3rd gen displays a lot of resolutions, not just one (and it's Android). 

Best regards,
Davor

Strange, I converted all of my home VCR tapes years ago, and they are 720x480.  I used a capture card inside my PC and a DVD player, to capture to my PC.  That was years ago.

Not sure how I got the 720x480 or how you got your resolution.

Recently, I converted my brothers homemade super 8mm "tapes" and the result was also, 720x480.  I used a digitizer like this one. 

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-MovieMake...OcEALw_wcB

720x480 is the consumer and broadcast standard resolution for SD 480i TV. It's used everywhere and defined in ITU standard BT.601 (formerly CCIR Rec 601).
(2024-01-11, 19:53)davorf Wrote: Hello!

This is exactly the case. Analogue SD content was digitized by so called "professional" (actually, just a guy that bought video capture card to convert analogue tapes to digital format for a charge), and I've ended up with 624x352 videos. I haven't had time to try izprtxqkft's suggestion to convert it with ffmpeg yet.

And regarding Android, Fire cube 3rd gen displays a lot of resolutions, not just one (and it's Android). 

Best regards,
Davor

Eek! That's a totally non-standard resolution - and sounds pretty low resolution. It's lower resolution than the source video on VHS will have been. That's a pity.
(2024-01-12, 00:22)izprtxqkft Wrote:
(2024-01-11, 21:30)Sholander Wrote: Yes, and that is only "motherboard" on your link. Besides that you have to buy a power adapter, some form of storage media and a BT/WiFi adapter to make it complete as an "Android box"...

seems a little steep in price for what is basically a recycled FireTV Cube Gen2 from 2019 (with a CPU/GPU from 2018), at least those come with a case and power supply, does odroid even give you a remo

No, no, no; Odroid N2 is an SBC (Single Board Computer) and not ever meant to be an Android box. The thing with it is that it can run many OS-s - 10, apart from several Android versions/forks.
My mentioning it was only to point out that although all aps, including Kodi, on all OS-es can run on it in UHD, except in Android. Android Kodi versions always have only one (1080p) resolution for GUI and hence in Whitelist. Meaning, it's not just a "low end android box" "feature" Wink
(2024-01-12, 17:33)Sholander Wrote: No, no, no; Odroid N2 is an SBC (Single Board Computer) and not ever meant to be an Android box.

ah! that makes more sense, i made the wrong assumption because of "droid" in the name, figured it was just "another" android box
thanks for clearing that up
(2024-01-12, 17:33)Sholander Wrote: My mentioning it was only to point out that although all aps, including Kodi, on all OS-es can run on it in UHD, except in Android. Android Kodi versions always have only one (1080p) resolution for GUI and hence in Whitelist. Meaning, it's not just a "low end android box" "feature" Wink

That's no longer the case for devices running Android 12 like my CCwGTV and Onn 4K (2023) boxes. I currently have a CCwGTV hooked up, Kodi's UI is set to 4K, and I have resolutions from 4K down to 480p whitelisted. My TV indicates 4K at the Kodi home screen, and Kodi switches resolution/refresh rate/HDR as needed when playing video. If they could eliminate that flashbang when starting playback and changing refresh rate on these Android devices, it would be just about perfect, albeit slower than a PC for things like the initial loading of thumbnails for Movies wall view, and of course the storage limitations.
Hello!

Just an update. I've managed to convert those videos with ffmpeg, so, they look better playing in Kodi. Thanks for the advice.

Best regards,
Davor
(2024-01-12, 19:34)crawfish Wrote:
(2024-01-12, 17:33)Sholander Wrote: My mentioning it was only to point out that although all aps, including Kodi, on all OS-es can run on it in UHD, except in Android. Android Kodi versions always have only one (1080p) resolution for GUI and hence in Whitelist. Meaning, it's not just a "low end android box" "feature" Wink

That's no longer the case for devices running Android 12 like my CCwGTV and Onn 4K (2023) boxes. I currently have a CCwGTV hooked up, Kodi's UI is set to 4K, and I have resolutions from 4K down to 480p whitelisted. My TV indicates 4K at the Kodi home screen, and Kodi switches resolution/refresh rate/HDR as needed when playing video. If they could eliminate that flashbang when starting playback and changing refresh rate on these Android devices, it would be just about perfect, albeit slower than a PC for things like the initial loading of thumbnails for Movies wall view, and of course the storage limitations.

When you talk about a flashbang - do you mean the normal HDMI resync that QMS helps to mitigate?

My Apple TV 4K (current model as of Jan 2024) supports QMS (Quick Media Switching) as does my LG C3 - but not my Denon AVR X2800H.  If I plug the ATV4K directly into my LG C3 TV and enable QMS on the ATV 4K I get seamless switching between 23.976, 24, 50 and 59.94fps output - but only if it's only a frame rate change - if there's a dynamic range - and I think colour space/gamut change - then there's still a resync. (There would be for resolution as well - but you'd expect that). Some people leave their ATV 4Ks in permanent HDR Dolby Vision output to avoid this (mapping Rec 709 content to DV permanently)
(2024-01-16, 13:44)noggin Wrote: When you talk about a flashbang - do you mean the normal HDMI resync that QMS helps to mitigate?

Couldn't say. I posted a description of exactly what happens in this thread a few days ago and linked to the thread I started on it a couple weeks ago:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3179340

I may have since discovered a mitigation that doesn't involve QMS. The CCwGTV has a frequently reported video stuttering bug since Android 12, and it's alleviated by enabling "Disable HW Overlays" in Developer Options. After enabling this option, I couldn't get my CCwGTV to flashbang. I tried at least a half dozen times with the same three SDR/2K and HDR/4K movies I've been testing with. I still need to reboot TV and device and see if it lasts, and also test the Onn box, but I'd recommend anyone affected give it a try.

ETA: To be clear, it still takes a few seconds for the refresh rate switching to occur, but it's a clean switch.

ETA2: Whatever improvement I observed WRT the flashbang on playback start wasn't durable. It's doing it again. However, the stuttering issue hasn't returned so far, so "Disable HW Overlays" seems to have worked for that. Unfortunately, my CCwGTV re-enables it when it reboots, so I need to check it after reboots at the least.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upscaling...Revisted0