Kodi Community Forum
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server (/showthread.php?tid=231955)

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server - Rumpelstiltskin - 2018-07-21

hi @fritsch 

I keep having problems with Signal lost, I'm in contact with the Dev's  "bugs.freedesktop" and they asked me if there is any way to disable the output after I switched the AVR from HDMI1 to HDMI2 and then make it re-enable it in Kodi after I switched back to HDMI1? (For ex. by setting some video output setup option in Kodi from and back to HDMI-A-1 ?)

Thanks for always

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server - fritsch - 2018-07-21

you can stop kodi - xrandr will kill the output anyways. Kodi on X11 currently cannot work without a display. Kodi's GBM version is able to do that since 2 days or something.

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server - Hammurabi - 2018-07-21

Noob here, I just got back to Linux after some time. I installed Linux mint 19 on a Bay Trail J1900 with Kodi 17.6 but i can't get hardware acceleration to work.

What I have to install to get it working?

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server - fritsch - 2018-07-21

Dear Noob, please read: "4.) Reporting issues" on the first post and come back with that information.

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server - Rumpelstiltskin - 2018-07-21

(2018-07-21, 12:26)fritsch Wrote: you can stop kodi - xrandr will kill the output anyways. Kodi on X11 currently cannot work without a display. Kodi's GBM version is able to do that since 2 days or something.
 Hello @fritsch , it'll be my age, it ll be the language (I remember always using a translator) but I can hardly follow you Smile

you can stop kodi - xrandr will kill the output anyways. -> You intend to stop it with the stop button or with this command ' sudo service kodi stop' ?
Kodi's GBM version is able to do that since 2 days or something. -> What do you mean, GBM?

(2018-07-21, 19:31)Rumpelstiltskin Wrote:
(2018-07-21, 12:26)fritsch Wrote: you can stop kodi - xrandr will kill the output anyways. Kodi on X11 currently cannot work without a display. Kodi's GBM version is able to do that since 2 days or something.
 Hello @fritsch , it'll be my age, it ll be the language (I remember always using a translator) but I can hardly follow you Smile

you can stop kodi - xrandr will kill the output anyways. -> You intend to stop it with the stop button or with this command ' sudo service kodi stop' ?
Kodi's GBM version is able to do that since 2 days or something. -> What do you mean, GBM?  
 a) Kodi as you use it, is not able to run without a display as of now.
b) A special version of kodi using the GBM window system can switch to offline rendering - but this is currently not installable via the ppa or something I could guide you to use.

(2018-07-21, 19:33)fritsch Wrote: b) A special version of kodi using the GBM window system can switch to offline rendering - but this is currently not installable via the ppa or something I could guide you to use. 
 You'd be very kindSmile maybe with the GBM solving my problem

I see @wsnipex  has packageed kodi-gbm if he has time he might describe you how to "test switch" from this howto to kodi-gbm

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server - Hammurabi - 2018-07-21

I just assumed that with the newer linux distros and with the newer kodi versions , all this would come out the box.

So it's impossible to install a normal desktop distro with HW acceleration working out of the box? like in libreelec

(2018-07-21, 20:36)Hammurabi Wrote: I just assumed that with the newer linux distros and with the newer kodi versions , all this would come out the box.

So it's impossible to install a normal desktop distro with HW acceleration working out of the box? like in libreelec
 Your assumption is correct. The thread you are posting though has nothing to do with a linux desktop, open your own thread.

ok thanks for answering, i'll check linux mint forums.

You think that maybe xfce is the problem and with other desktop enviroment more up to date will be working?

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server - wsnipex - 2018-07-22

what problem? XFCE works just fine, also with kodi.

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server - wsnipex - 2018-07-22

for GBM: I've not been able to get it to work myself on my htpc yet. There is still a bug that seems to affect older intel cpus/gpus.
In theory you would just switch the Exec_start command of the systemd script to run /usr/bin/kodi --standalone directly instead of openbox

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server - Rumpelstiltskin - 2018-07-22

(2018-07-22, 09:41)wsnipex Wrote: for GBM: I've not been able to get it to work myself on my htpc yet. There is still a bug that seems to affect older intel cpus/gpus.
In theory you would just switch the Exec_start command of the systemd script to run /usr/bin/kodi --standalone directly instead of openbox
thanks @wsnipex 
I started to compiling out for the first time, can I ask if it's right?
Quote:git clone https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc kodi
cd $HOME/kodi
sudo make -C tools/depends/target/crossguid PREFIX=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/
mkdir $HOME/kodi-build
cd $HOME/kodi-build
cmake ../kodi -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ -DCORE_PLATFORM_NAME=gbm
cmake --build . -- VERBOSE=1 -j4

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server - fritsch - 2018-07-22

(2018-07-22, 09:55)Rumpelstiltskin Wrote:
(2018-07-22, 09:41)wsnipex Wrote: for GBM: I've not been able to get it to work myself on my htpc yet. There is still a bug that seems to affect older intel cpus/gpus.
thanks @wsnipex 
I started to compiling out for the first time, can I ask if it's right?
Quote:git clone https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc kodi
cd $HOME/kodi
sudo make -C tools/depends/target/crossguid PREFIX=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/
mkdir $HOME/kodi-build
cd $HOME/kodi-build
cmake ../kodi -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ -DCORE_PLATFORM_NAME=gbm
cmake --build . -- VERBOSE=1 -j4
 Why? There is a kodi-gbm package already available!

Code:
sudo apt-get install kodi-gbm

Now edit /etc/systemd/system/kodi.service and change the ExecStart to look like this:
Code:
ExecStart = /usr/bin/kodi-standalone
Now do:
sudo systemctl daemon-reload
sudo reboot

This works with kodi 18 ppa