Kodi Community Forum
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server (/showthread.php?tid=231955)

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - Sundan - 2017-02-07

Thanks for the guide!

I just followed it and it seems to work fine,however, if i want to add a desktop without breaking anything how do i do it ?
It seems atleast some DEConfused comes with pulseaudio and i dont want it to overwrite any settings.

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - fritsch - 2017-02-07

There is a desktop. Just exit kodi and you have openbox.

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - Sundan - 2017-02-07

(2017-02-07, 12:19)fritsch Wrote: There is a desktop. Just exit kodi and you have openbox.

Im doing something wrong because if i exit kodi i end up at command line.

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - fritsch - 2017-02-07

Ah right :-)

Remove
Code:
openbox --exit
from the autostart file

(2017-02-07, 13:17)fritsch Wrote: Remove
Code:
openbox --exit
from the autostart file

Thanks, that worked Smile

So,finally i could swap out my windows pc for this ,and i can happily report that the sound is great and even my reciever reports dts-master in passthrough, and PCM without. I just tested shortly but i cant hear any difference in audio between the two,so i guess its the same quality in both modes,just that the reciever dont report dts-master without passthrough ?

Anyhow, im happy and i thank you very much for this guide Smile

As a sidenote, i couldnt get any audio from web browsing youtube or svtplay.se, but i guess thats fixable in alsa settings, however i dont want to mess up kodi now so ill just leave it be and use smart tv functions for youtube/web.(Or youtube within kodi ofc)

Thanks again !

Passthrough: Passthrough
PCM: PCM

If you see DTS-HD, TrueHD, DTS, AC3, DD+, etc. -> passthrough is active.
Else: We decode it to PCM -> you see PCM.

If you don't hear the difference (which is intented with a lossless decoder) keep passthrough disabled and enable "Sync playback to display" and "Adjust Refreshrate to match video". The first will sync to display's clock and change audio so that you get smooth video and smooth audio. With this setting enabled, PT will be disabled.

For your webbrowser, make yourself familiar with: .asoundrc and put such a file into your home - don't miss the "." infront of it. Basically you need to set your default device, nothing else.

Thanks, i will try,well i did add it but tv is taken again so i cant check if it works,but i also noticed that some audio formats will not work even from inside kodi,despite having installed ubuntu-extras so i might have other problems too.
(All dts,DD etc works, but not some old videos, .mpg, .mp4 etc.)

I put this inside as suggested from alsa.opensrc.org ;

pcm.cmipci {
type hw
card 0
}

ctl.cmipci {
type hw
card 0
}

friendly reminder: I will delete all messages with bugs and without logs.
Kodi does not need any external libs, it has ffmpeg.

Sorry for spamming without logs,but it wasnt really intended as a bug report, just something i did wrong and hoped someone might know what it was.

This is after all a thread on your guide,not only on kodi itself,thats why i asked about non-kodi related "problems",i hope you dont mind, but if you do just tell me and i take my noob questions elsewhere Smile

Kodi reports aac/undetermined audio for the video that "dont work", but this is true for some others that do work too, so more likely its a format my reciever dont support and i probably need to untick one of the abilities in the reciever setting or so. (The video plays,just no audio from speakers)

Thanks for the info on ffmpeg being built in,i wasnt sure before and thought it could be related to why youtube audio didnt work but now i can exclude that.

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - BigL-New - 2017-02-10

@fritsch

Fritsch could you explain me which option is better for me?

My TV (Panasonic plasma) is "special one" and was starting point for whole passthrough kernel patch. With 4.4 kernel with your patch everything was as follows:

passthrough ON (or Full Range) + Full range in Kodi gave me best results in test movies (blacks below 16 were black and whites above 235 were white)

Things changed with 4.9 kernel:

passthrough ON (or Full Range) + Full range in Kodi gives me blacks up to 28 (maybe more. cannot check it on sample video) and all above 230 is white.
passthrough ON (or Full Range) + Limited range in Kodi gives me correct blacks (below 16) but whites blink up to 252. So it's only "half-correct".

So which one is better and why so much difference with these 2 kernels?

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - fritsch - 2017-02-10

Choose what you like best. That's what counts :-)

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - BigL-New - 2017-02-10

For me 4.4 with passthrough ON + Full range in Kodi looks almost the same as 4.9 with passthrough ON + Limited range in Kodi. But I don't know how to interpret these "over whites" (it's good or distortion).
And why such big change? It's problem in intel driver or something expected?

RE: Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server - fritsch - 2017-02-10

I don't see a problem.