Kodi freezes and crashes when playing video with 5.1 audio
Hi,

I have been facing this issue recently. When I play a video sometimes Kodi randomly freezes and crashes. It started to happen a few weeks back once or twice. then I noticed it happens almost every time I play a video with audio 5.1. my pioneer audio receiver supports up to 7.1 and has some weird feature for something called 9.1 but I only set it up to 7.1 cause this is the system I have.

here is the error in the log. this error is repeated over and over in the log until kodi crashes
https://paste.kodi.tv/ogunilovez.kodi

here is the whole log file anyway
https://paste.kodi.tv/safovugelo.kodi

I am using Windows 11 23H2 and Kodi 21.0.0

appreciate any help

Nordicguy
A few minor issues : 161 matches for the word 'error', would occupy a lot of tracking time.
(2024-05-04, 14:24)nordicguy Wrote: I play a video sometimes Kodi randomly freezes and crashes
It's that word 'sometimes', which means that sometimes it all works? Of late it looks like often. Suspect that one or more add-ons have compromised the code pile.

A few tips to try and get lucky.

GUI format 4096x2160, Display AV Receiver #1: 4096x2160 @ 24.00Hz - Desktop Resolution: 4096x2160 32Bit at 24Hz (skin.aeon.tajo.nordics\1080i)
- If possible for the purpose of a test, set desktop to 1920x1080x50 then launch Kodi and check for issues.

skin.aeon.tajo.nordics\ (version: 7.1.6) - available 7.2.6.
-ensure that 7.2.6. is up

-disable a bunch of those add-on that call the network.

Failing that, I wouldn't touch your existing set-up. But would enjoy a Portable mode (wiki) installation, plain jane, no extras, default skin, no advancedsettings.xml, and ensure it's operation, then add on your skin choice for operation and start building from that point with an eye for some 'extra' or add-on that doesn't like your set-up.
That was not a debug log, a lot of information is missing.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
(2024-05-04, 18:27)PatK Wrote: A few minor issues : 161 matches for the word 'error', would occupy a lot of tracking time.
(2024-05-04, 14:24)nordicguy Wrote: I play a video sometimes Kodi randomly freezes and crashes
It's that word 'sometimes', which means that sometimes it all works? Of late it looks like often. Suspect that one or more add-ons have compromised the code pile.

A few tips to try and get lucky.

GUI format 4096x2160, Display AV Receiver #1: 4096x2160 @ 24.00Hz - Desktop Resolution: 4096x2160 32Bit at 24Hz (skin.aeon.tajo.nordics\1080i)
- If possible for the purpose of a test, set desktop to 1920x1080x50 then launch Kodi and check for issues.

skin.aeon.tajo.nordics\ (version: 7.1.6) - available 7.2.6.
-ensure that 7.2.6. is up

-disable a bunch of those add-on that call the network.

Failing that, I wouldn't touch your existing set-up. But would enjoy a Portable mode (wiki) installation, plain jane, no extras, default skin, no advancedsettings.xml, and ensure it's operation, then add on your skin choice for operation and start building from that point with an eye for some 'extra' or add-on that doesn't like your set-up.

Hi PatK

appreciate the time you took to reply and help.

- yes I used the word sometimes because initially I wasn't sure when or why Kodi freezes but after multiple trials I discovered it freezes in every video with 5.1 audio. but it doesn't freeze right away when video plays, it freezes in random and different times for the same video

- I actually tried many times to change the resolution to 1920x1080x50, but it keeps going back once I exit Kodi and back to Windows then next time I launch Kodi it uses the resolution that is already there in Windows. I am not sure if Windows doing that or my Samsung TV (which I use as a display) or my pioneer AV. but one of those is dominating the change of resolution. I will try again anyway.

- the skin "skin.aeon.tajo.nordics\ (version: 7.1.6)" is and edited version of aeon tajo I made it for personal use. To update my skin, it isn't possible unfortunately to synch the changes. so, I have to pull the new version and re-do the changes. This takes time. so, for the sake of testing I will use the native Kodi skin for a few days.

- I am trying to find which add-ons call for network apart from the media scrappers... in my mind all add-ons call for network every now  and then so I am disabling most of my add-ons for now and will test.

your final solution is probably the best but the idea to start over has a heavy weight on my soul  Sad but I guess if all fails, then I have to do it

nordicguy
-Yes you'll have to set windows desktop to 1920x1080x50 then launch Kodi for the purposes of the test.
-I doubt the issue is the AVR, but if needed take the signal direct to the TV. Skin issues is a possibility.
-the fault is likely one of those add-ons failing.
-The odd part is the failure 'after' you initiate the player, smacks of a background task like library update. (turn off all background tasks).
-ensure you have debugging is turned on for your next debug log.
Hi,

thanks for helping. I will certainly try those advices.

nordicguy

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi freezes and crashes when playing video with 5.1 audio0