Which MySQL Version to Install? Win 11
Hello,

Am currently running MySQL 5.7.44 on Windows 10 (for years with no issues).  Am starting to prep a replacement Windows 11 box and am not sure which new MySQL version to install.

Here https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/ I can see 8.0.37 and 8.4.0.  Or still advise to use the version I have now - even though it is EOL?

I also take it, exporting my databses from old mysql to new should be straight forward (simple export and import) or am I assuming too much and need to tweak them?

I would be aiming to setup the new MySQL instance the same as the previous. (user accounts/permissions etc).

This was the original ytube tutorial I followed all those year ago if anyone is interested Smile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWRrkPvZkRM

Thanks and cheers in advance.

EDIT:  The new Win 11 box will be replacing the Win 10 box, with same IPs etc, so theoretically I do not need (or want) to change anything in the kodi advanced settings.
Confusion is just a state of mind.
disclaimer: I'm not a mysql user.
However 8.4.0 is the current LTS version so that looks like the way to go.
Mysql should have documentation about upgrading from version to version, including whether dumping/reimporting database works across versions.
If it's still similar to MariaDB it may be possible to upgrade in place (with proper backups first of course...)
There was a mysql_upgrade script to run manually after major version upgrades, but it looks like it's included in mysql startup now so likely there is no need.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thank you for that, appreciated.  Will see if I can find more info on migrating the databases.

Will not be decomissioning the win 10 box so can always fall back to that if I encounter issues.

Cheers
Hi.    I do shared DB's on my NAS box.

I recently forced a Win11 update on that box (Rufus method).  As a result, I had to migrate my all my DB's before that fresh load.  And since I use Profiles, I actually had a LOT of DB's to migrate.

However, I can't tell you what MySQL version to migrate to, because many years back I had a Kodi MySQL problem, and based on the recommendations at that time I moved to MariaDB instead.  (Kodi does recommend that you can use MySQL or MariaDB as your shared DB repository).

I had no problems migrating the DB's, I followed some YouTube videos on how to do it using HeidiSQL.  

So, for me, I'm running HeidiSQL 12.6 and MariaDB 10.2 (x64)   

The biggest hassle:  setting up the shared drives and assigning proper rights for those in Win11.   That was a pain. (Also, I found a WOL issue in KODI for Windows when trying to get my NAS to wake from sleep, but that is another thread, nearly resolved).

However, saving (exporting) the DB's with HeidiSQL and reimporting them into the new DB was actually really really easy.    It took more time to find the video tutorials than actually do the export and import.  So, to save you some time:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBbqDLXrZGY   (There are other videos out there, this is just one.)

I wish you success!
Great, thanks for that info.  I'll check it out.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which MySQL Version to Install? Win 110