Bug Kodi crashes intermittently after enabling closed captioning on any version of 20.x
Ever since I upgraded Kodi to v20.x, I have been unable to sustain operation of closed captioning without Kodi crashing.   The time of the crash is random, anywhere from a minute to twenty-five minutes after the closed captions are enabled.   Without closed captions enabled, Kodi will run without issue.  I'm currently running V20.5

Kodi is running under Win7 on an HP Z600 Workstation (two Xeon processors), 12 GB RAM and an NVIDIA GT 710 Graphics card.  The RAM is on the low side, but the resource monitor indicates there is plenty of surplus.  The CPU never gets above a few percent utilization.  Kodi's backend is MediaPortal server which performs flawlessly.  I have addons for the MediaPortal Client, "watchedlist", and maintenance wizard.   I have tried different settings on both Kodi and the NVIDIA card with no change in the outcome.  I have totally removed Kodi and done a fresh install with new configuration files with no change in the outcome.

A portion of the log relative to the crash is posted at: notuyavisu.kodi (paste)

In addition to the primary Kodi client/MediaPortal server on the HP Z600, I have two HP T640 Thin Clients 2.4GHz AMD Ryzen R1505G / 16GB RAM / 500GB SSD / Win 10 Pro that run Kodi V20.5 and connect to the MediaPortal server over wired Ethernet connections.  They can run closed captions without issue. 

It would seem the easy solution would be to upgrade the server on which Kodi runs to W10, but there are other programs that run on that Z600 that are not compatible with Win10, which is why it has not been upgraded.  None of those programs are running when Kodi is active and the guidelines still indicate that Kodi can run on Win7.

Any ideas on what I might do to solve the problem?
Same problem here
I upgraded Kodi to version 21.0 on my NVIDIA Shield TV Pro, so it's probably a pure Kodi bug. 
The video crashes when I choose a subtitle text file after around 10 seconds.
That doesn't sound like the same problem at all.

I'm not aware of a dev with a Windows 7 install, much less in combination with mediaportal.
The log you provided is not of the debug type so you could attach a full debug log, there could be a clue.
What you can try maybe is earlier v20 versions. What version were you using before and that didn't have the problem?
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi crashes intermittently after enabling closed captioning on any version of 20.x0