• 7(current)
[split] Kodi v21 "Omega" Stable Release - Issues Discussions
Just going to throw my experience in.
I am running on an android box that came with with my projector. [BENQ QS02] 
It looks like kodi auto updated, but then crashed. It would lock at the "Omega" screen and hang. 
I ended up having to go into the app and delete the data file. basically wiping out the database. 
As I have a large database its going to take hours to rebuild. It seems this update was not quite ready for prime time. I wish I could get you a log file but unfortunately I had to wipe everything to get it running again.
@mcavity - is this using a shared MySQL (wiki) database?

There have been some reports of issues there (see here and here for reports and a solution), which is something we are looking into more deeply to get a proper resolution.
Although that said, as detailed on the wiki, MySQL (wiki) is still considered an advanced and experimental feature, given its external dependences.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
No it was not an external database. It was just the default as installed on the android install. 
One day I would love to figure out how to do an external database so i can sync several systems..
OK. We've not (to my knowledge) seen any issues with on-device database updates, only ones via MySQL (wiki) or Mariadb.

That said it is not unknown for things to generally go wrong at such times, and the recovery method is exactly what you've done, to remove the new version of each of the databases (wiki) and let Kodi update from the pre-existing older version again.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
There is also a known problem of duplicated movies, which can happen for local or remote db, but it would result in an empty library, not a freeze or crash of Kodi.
Unfortunately without the log there isn't much that can be done.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Unfortunately I was not able to just remove the new databases and reimport.
Because it is a commercial "smart tv" android box I did not have command line or ssh access to it.
I deeply regret I was unable to get you any logs. 
I had go under android app control and select "clear data" which deleted both the old and new files. 
This means I have to rebuild and rescan everything.  Not world ending but a bit of a pain as I have a rather large library.
So I'm going to um counter your statement of "not having any reports of issues from on client databases" to saying you have at least 1. Smile
I will note that "clear data" did not remove the app itself. Once the data was gone the app was able to start up and work properly. 
I do think the new options for cache and smb / nfs chunk sizes seem to help when trying some of my more problematic 4k files.
Ok,
I want to start this off saying - I love Kodi and appreciate the indible hard work that goes into it. I have been using it off and on since XBMC days. 
And this new version seems to have a bunch of new features that look great! 4k UHD / HDR+ DV ect.. So thank you!
However I have run into a few things.  I already mentioned the update failure due to database issues on android. 
However I hoped just rescanning my various libraries would bring it all back. However it seems the scanner is having a hard time with file / folder names than the pervious iteration. 
Its just not picking a lot of the shows that I had no problem with before. I'm already going though and manually renaming folders but is there anyway to get the scan to import a bit easier?
am I missing something?
(2024-05-01, 17:03)mcavity Wrote: Its just not picking a lot of the shows that I had no problem with before.
Can you provide a Debug Log that captures an update library. We should be able to see what the problem is.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
This time I think I can provide a log. i just did a clear so it should be easier to read and started a scan. 
once its done I will post it.
ok here we go.
https://paste.kodi.tv/ucagakiwet
for now I just going item by item am manually renaming things and hopeing the scraper can get info.
(2024-05-01, 23:01)mcavity Wrote: ok here we go.
https://paste.kodi.tv/ucagakiwet
I can see the problem, and from the few shows I checked it has nothing to do with naming. At this stage, don't waste your time renaming, but the renaming is indirectly fixing the problem anyway.

You seem to have an older library. TV Shows that have been in your library for a few years, scraped using older scrapers.
Line 357 of your log shows this... Searching 'https://api.thetvdb.com/login?{"apikey":"0629B785CE550C8D","id":353118}|Content-Type=application/json' using TMDb TV Shows scraper
See the discrepancy?
You originally used TVDB to add this show into the library, but now you have TMDB set as the scraper, so the id's do not match. ID 353118 at TVDB will work, but probably doesn't exist at TMDB.
Best fix is to Refresh the tv show as shown in the images here... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=370489
If you have a tvshow.nfo file, you should delete them before scraping.

You can read about the issue here... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=370489
And follow the images at the end of the first post to fix your local library.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
ah great! I will give that a shot in the morning!
perhaps best killing all the .nfo files and rescan?
(2024-05-02, 01:06)mcavity Wrote: perhaps best killing all the .nfo files and rescan?
The tvshow.nfo - yes.
The episode nfo files - no need to, but your choice.
Movies are unaffected.
My Signature
(2024-04-26, 21:17)Common Man Wrote:
(2024-04-14, 17:16)vonson Wrote: Hello everyone,

I have a major issue since the v21 update, that is most of my movies won't playback any more (device is a fire stick 4k max). The movie starts, then after 5-10 seconds just stops, or if I try to skip ahead/back it just stops. It happens on movies that have played before as well as on new ones. It happens when starting them via library as well as when starting them from their folder.

From my experimenting I thought it would only affect files with 5.1 audio, not such with 2.0 audio. That is not the case, it just also happend with a 2.0 file.

I had a quick look into the log:
 Read - Error( -1, 32, Broken pipe )
 underflow: Error reading file - assuming eof
 Process - eof reading from demuxer

This never happened before I updated to v21.
I even checked with my older fire stick which still has 20.0 installed, and the movies in question do play there without any problem. (Via folders, obviously the library won't work because the remote mariadb is already migrated/updated).

Is this a known issue? Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything I can do to fix this?

EDIT:
(initially I thought it would only affect files with 5.1 audio, not 2.0. This is not the case. Paragraph above updated.)

Have the exact same problem when it updated to Omega on Google Chromecast 4k today. Files that played yesterday quit within a few seconds. Have no idea how to get logs off of Chromecast device.

But this is not for all files though. So far only one set of files so it may have to do with particular encoding common to those files rather than a file read issue.

Edited: Problem with all files. In some it just freezes. Using SMB share. Could be a SMB version problem.

Edited with more debugging:
Problem is with SRT subtitle files in the same folder and same name as video.

The subtitles are disabled but Kodi does seem to read the file. If I remove the SRT file the video plays just fine. So, the problem appears to be with reading the SRT file in conjunction with the video file at least in my case. This is a regression bug in Omega.

Have eliminated any network or access related issues using other devices.

This is a test build for this specific issue: "playback stops when there are SRT subtitles in the same folder as the movie with the same name" 

ARM64 (Shield):
https://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andr...64-v8a.apk

ARM:
https://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andr...bi-v7a.apk

It's important to test it with the default SMB chunk size of 128K to make sure it works.

My theory is that it really has no relation to the SMB chunk size and solves it by chance... but I haven't been able to reproduce it locally yet.

NOTE: If someone is still using SMB v1 (obsolete) then they will have to change SMB chunk size to 64K but for a different reason: SMB v1 does not support larger sizes.
This is a test build for this specific issue: "playback stops when there are SRT subtitles in the same folder as the movie with the same name" 

ARM64 (Shield):
https://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andr...64-v8a.apk

ARM:
https://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andr...bi-v7a.apk

It's important to test it with the default SMB chunk size of 128K to make sure it works.

My theory is that it really has no relation to the SMB chunk size and solves it by chance... but I haven't been able to reproduce it locally yet.

NOTE: If someone is still using SMB v1 (obsolete) then they will have to change SMB chunk size to 64K but for a different reason: SMB v1 does not support larger sizes.
[/quote]

Tested test build on Chromecast device. Chunk size set to 128MB. Works.

Confirmed it picked up the SRT with the same name by checking the subtitle menu and seeing external in the choices without having to explicitly browse and select.

With this first look, it appears to have fixed it. Thanks.

Will let you know if any problem appears after extended viewing.

PS: seems like the test build includes the fix for the wake up after sleep without audio issue reported earlier also. Will keep this build until .1 comes out.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[split] Kodi v21 "Omega" Stable Release - Issues Discussions0