• 4(current)
Release Audio Passthrough IEC - TrueHD fix/workaround - Testing build
(2023-01-19, 15:48)jogal Wrote:
(2023-01-19, 12:06)Tanzbaerli Wrote: Sound Delay +0.2 seconds ... otherwise its not lip sync!

This "may" indicate you have Dolby processing Shield setting enabled.  Please confirm.

In any case, unless it is only that video file, it means that you have a broken setup.
Yes its "on".
I never thought about this setting ..better to turn it generally off?
I just see that in the first post there are settings which i ignored.

This video filel is not "lip sync" on the Shield, interestingly playing it on the PC (with Kodi) its lip sync. (But there i have only stereo setup).
Could the delay change anthing?

Nevertheless,
  • the "fritsch"-Build is an improvement
  • the supertoto build works without problems (but may indroduce sync problems on long movies as fritsch explained)

For the next time i will use the "fritch"-Build and i will do further tests with other movies and report my results but this may take some time ....

Please keep us informed if anything changes in the nightly build targeting TrueHD!
(2023-01-19, 19:04)Tanzbaerli Wrote: Yes its "on".
I never thought about this setting ..better to turn it generally off?
I just see that in the first post there are settings which i ignored.

Well this is the cause of ALL your problems on Kodi.
  • lip sync  (un-sync of 0.2s)
  • Massive TrueHD dropouts
  • Audio delay even in Kodi GUI sounds

It's been said millions of times (https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3066956). Now is again in BIG GREEN LETTERS in the first post.

people don't read!!!

Make sure disable "Dolby processing" and set "Audio video sync" to 0ms in Shield audio settings (all firmwares)
(2023-01-19, 12:54)SoulReaver Wrote: Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the “official nightly build” actually made the changes or reverts on TrueHD IEC that reintroduced the video stuttering/frameskipping issue but fixed the dropouts so it’s a similar situation like it was in official 19.3 stable in that regard.

You are wrong:  code that fix "video stuttering/frameskipping issue" is NOT reverted in master branch. Then is NOT the similar situation that 19.3

The "code" still here:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/5715cb...#L818-L819

This code was introduced here: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/20550
In summary: there have been 3 reports and 2 are NOT valid.

One for using DoVi sources and another for having the "Dolby Processing" setting enabled in Shield.
(2023-01-19, 19:45)jogal Wrote:
(2023-01-19, 12:54)SoulReaver Wrote: Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the “official nightly build” actually made the changes or reverts on TrueHD IEC that reintroduced the video stuttering/frameskipping issue but fixed the dropouts so it’s a similar situation like it was in official 19.3 stable in that regard.

You are wrong:  code that fix "video stuttering/frameskipping issue" is NOT reverted in master branch. Then is NOT the similar situation that 19.3

The "code" still here:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/5715cb...#L818-L819

This code was introduced here: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/20550
Thank you for the correction and thank you for dedicating some of your valuable free time to making Kodi the best it can be! :-)
(2023-01-19, 16:01)jogal Wrote: Please this is not "Dolby Vision testing thread". DV has merged very recently and still in "experimental state". Do not use DV video files to test TrueHD audio dropouts (or, if so, at least ignore the video issues).

It is known that there are issues to be investigated in DV (jerky playback at random time points) and probably some more changes in the code are necessary to make everything perfect.

I didn't know there were issues with the DV implementation, but still I had no issues (so far) with DV on @supertoto1977's build which is based on Kodi Nightly.

I also thoroughly tested a 4K movie without DV and came to the same conclusion:
- Kodi Nightly (with @fritsch's fix) gives me perfect audio (no dropouts) but it has some video stutters.
- @supertoto1977's build gives me no audio dropouts and perfectly smooth video (though it's possible that there could be a very small sync issue over time, as @fritsch said).
(2023-01-19, 19:03)jogal Wrote:
(2023-01-19, 18:36)Filmbuff Wrote: Just a question, how do I turn off the cache in Kodi?

In advancedsettings.xml

xml:
  <cache>
    <buffermode>3</buffermode>
  </cache>

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/5715cb....h#L21-L25

Thanks, so if I got this right, I paste that into the advancedsettings.xml? Vill try that.
Full advancedsettings.xml should be as:

xml:
<advancedsettings version="1.0">
  <cache>
    <buffermode>3</buffermode>
  </cache>
</advancedsettings>
(2023-01-19, 20:12)Draconix Wrote: - @supertoto1977's build gives me no audio dropouts and perfectly smooth video (though it's possible that there could be a very small sync issue over time, as @fritsch said).

Maybe you could achieve the same by following these points: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3133434
(2023-01-19, 20:12)Draconix Wrote:
(2023-01-19, 16:01)jogal Wrote: Please this is not "Dolby Vision testing thread". DV has merged very recently and still in "experimental state". Do not use DV video files to test TrueHD audio dropouts (or, if so, at least ignore the video issues).

It is known that there are issues to be investigated in DV (jerky playback at random time points) and probably some more changes in the code are necessary to make everything perfect.

I didn't know there were issues with the DV implementation, but still I had no issues (so far) with DV on @supertoto1977's build which is based on Kodi Nightly.

I also thoroughly tested a 4K movie without DV and came to the same conclusion:
- Kodi Nightly (with @fritsch's fix) gives me perfect audio (no dropouts) but it has some video stutters.
- @supertoto1977's build gives me no audio dropouts and perfectly smooth video (though it's possible that there could be a very small sync issue over time, as @fritsch said).
Exact same scenario for me.

Also I did not experience any of the potential sync issues with the supertoto1977 build during my testing.

Let’s hope a proper solution can be found in the end.

Maybe a temporary audio setting in Kodi specific to Shield devices could be made that triggers the fix by supertoto1977 only for users experiencing issues until the proper fix of the core issue has been created?

Thanks for all of your good work! :-)
Solution for what?

Problem: TrueHD audio dropouts
Solution: fritsch changes fixes 100% this problem

END

Until now only one user has said still has audio audio dropouts but IS BECAUSE HE HAS DOLBY PROCESSING ENABLED IN SHIELD SETTINGS

Make sure disable "Dolby processing" and set "Audio video sync" to 0ms in Shield audio settings (all firmwares)
(2023-01-19, 21:06)jogal Wrote: Solution for what?

Problem: TrueHD audio dropouts
Solution: fritsch changes fixes 100% this problem

END

Until now only one user has said still has audio audio dropouts but IS BECAUSE HE HAS DOLBY PROCESSING ENABLED IN SHIELD SETTINGS

A solution to the current microstutter/frameskipping that happens for 2 of the testers in the official build sometimes during playback of 4K Blurays using TrueHD Atmos audiotrack.

I have followed all written instructions during my testing to be clear.
(2023-01-19, 21:22)SoulReaver Wrote: A solution to the current microstutter/frameskipping that happens for 2 of the testers in the official build sometimes during playback of 4K Blurays using TrueHD Atmos audiotrack.

I have followed all written instructions during my testing to be clear.

Same here, I am using every recommended Shield setting and Kodi setting. The official nightly build fixes the audio but has video microstutter/frameskipping. Again, this is using a 4K BluRay with TrueHD Atmos and regular HDR (no DV).

From what @fritsch said earlier, there seems to be an underlying A/V sync problem with TrueHD. From what I understand:
- Since 19.4, the video was prioritized so it would be smooth, but the audio would occasionally drop out so that it can re-sync with the video.
- In the latest Nightly build, the audio is now prioritized so that it wouldn't drop out, but the video will now occasionally stutter so that it can re-sync with the audio.
Well, then someone has to open a new issue in GitHub.

But the "TrueHD audio dropouts using IEC" issue is CLOSED.
(2023-01-17, 21:25)Draconix Wrote: EDIT: Did a really quick test on a file that previously stuttered like crazy. Using IEC on the Jan 19 build you posted, the video was very smooth! I'll need to watch a full movie to properly test the audio dropout fix though.

"Using IEC on the Jan 19 build you posted, the video was very smooth!"

Now:
(2023-01-19, 21:37)Draconix Wrote: the video will now occasionally stutter so that it can re-sync with the audio.

So is very smooth or occasionally stutter?

EDIT: As I said before we have to be very cautious and meticulous with the tests. Do not assume that a random stutter is due to these latest changes.
EDIT2: Another point is supertoto1977's build is a clean install by definition because is another package name so settings may be different, etc.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio Passthrough IEC - TrueHD fix/workaround - Testing build0