• 4(current)
Configuring & Adding SMB/Samba Network shares
i just found a solution for getting smb (windows 10) working on android kodi 19.x with guest account (no password). this used to work on previous under 19 builds and still does work natively on other android apps like solid explorer, etc.

my shield doesn't have this issue since it has it's own smb shares in the os but on my chromecast w/Google tv this was an issue for a long time! my only work around was to browse the video in solid explorer, then open in kodi

the solution is super easy so I'm very surprised this hasn't been fixed at this point. all you need to do is add "" to both smb name/password fields and that's it!!
That works for the reason detailed in https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3031437 under OPTION 2 - Share with no password
(2022-08-09, 02:07)jjd-uk Wrote: That works for the reason detailed in https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid3031437 under OPTION 2 - Share with no password

so anything in those fields will work? im feeling a major deju vu here - I've had so many hard to solve smb kodi/windows issues over the years and I'm a user since og xbox xbmc days...
Yes anything will work just so they aren't blank
Thanks for the info.  Searched high and low why I could not connect to my Windows 10 file server.  Got it working now but turns out my PC is not fast enough to serve 4K UHD movies from it. May have to get a faster pc.  Playing android Kodi from an attached USB HD works just fine. My older HTPC will not stream 4K content smoothly.
This is really weird for me, I have two Nvidia Shields, an older model with 500 gb HDD (not used to store media) and one 16 gb version, recently on the 500 gb model, Kodi 19.5 was updated to Kodi 20, I have lost my network share settings etc... and on the 16 gb model I didn't.

My problem is that I can't add my network share from the Nvidia shield 500 gb model, I have read all this post and have tried everything suggested on here without success, I have checked the Nvidia settings for Kodi and they all match, I have checked Kodi system settings and they all match, I am trying to add a network share via my stored media on a Windows 10 PC without success, however, I can see my drives and can acess my media directly from them.

so, on the 16 gb the updated v20 has not broken anything and is working as it should, however on the 500 gb, I can't create a network share and add my drive, library?

How weird, any help would be appreciated.
(2023-01-22, 14:57)nbat58 Wrote: however on the 500 gb, I can't create a network share and add my drive, library?
If you mean local access, there is a banner at the top of the forum.
If you mean network access, did that Nvidia Shield's SMB server got disabled somehow?
(2023-01-22, 16:43)Klojum Wrote:
(2023-01-22, 14:57)nbat58 Wrote: however on the 500 gb, I can't create a network share and add my drive, library?
If you mean local access, there is a banner at the top of the forum.
If you mean network access, did that Nvidia Shield's SMB server got disabled somehow?
I mean network access, would the SMB got disabeled on the Nvidia Shield if I still can see my drives and access the media on them through system, file manager and add source? thanks.
Adding SMB should be easier in v20 as the ability to browse for SMB shares is now back, make sure you Enable WS-Discovery Service is enabled as it's this that allows the share browsing.
(2023-01-22, 17:33)jjd-uk Wrote: Adding SMB should be easier in v20 as the ability to browse for SMB shares is now back, make sure you Enable WS-Discovery Service is enabled as it's this that allows the share browsing.

Thanks fror the quick reply, that option is enabeled, I have tried with SMB v1 enabeled and not without success.
i didnt read back to posts from 6 months ago, is there a debug log available?
I've got the same issue. Smb shares working fine with v19.5, upgraded to v20 on shield pro and now it no longer works.

When i browse smb I can see my servers but when I try to access them I just get "operation not permitted"
(2023-01-25, 16:52)ipdaily Wrote: I've got the same issue. Smb shares working fine with v19.5, upgraded to v20 on shield pro and now it no longer works.

When i browse smb I can see my servers but when I try to access them I just get "operation not permitted"
Still the same here, not managed to fix it yet, currently, I just go into the server and drill down to my media and it works that way, but what a faff.
I can't even browse the folders of my server, so I can't watch anything Confused
Can't access SMB shares from win10 on my Shield 19 Pro at all in 19 and 20.
I make set posters! (I also take requests)
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Configuring & Adding SMB/Samba Network shares0