• 3(current)
Release Matrix v19.3 + micro stuttering fix + TrueHD RAW fix (test builds v19.4)
I tested the version  on my shield 2017 and it works better than offical 19.3. The micro-jerking has disappeared in 1080p movies with DTSHD soundtrack. 1080p movies with a True HD Atmos soundtrack, as in Wonder Women 1984 or Fast and Furious 9, the micro-stuttering is still present.

On the same hardware with kodi 18.9 all movies are fine
(2021-10-26, 17:36)Eisi2005 Wrote: I tested the version  on my shield 2017 and it works better than offical 19.3. The micro-jerking has disappeared in 1080p movies with DTSHD soundtrack. 1080p movies with a True HD Atmos soundtrack, as in Wonder Women 1984 or Fast and Furious 9, the micro-stuttering is still present.

On the same hardware with kodi 18.9 all movies are fine

It happens to me exactly the same as you, for now there is only isar kodi 18.9, is there any news of kodi 19.4? What can it solve?
(2021-10-26, 15:36)Hitcher Wrote:
(2021-10-26, 15:33)solamnic Wrote: A Q.... Place II 2160p DV Remuxed with dolby atmos sound track

This doesn't build include any Dolby Vision patches!
sorry will test on non DV content..
Ok I've made a sample video file of WW84 for testing purposes as it has a long panning shot at the beginning.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11BOX-3-...sp=sharing

EDIT: My findings with a Shield TV (2019) and LG OLED65CX with Real Cinema enabled.

No framerate change (60Hz) + no passthrough = no shuttering
No framerate change (60Hz)+ passthrough = no shuttering
Framerate change (24Hz) + no passthrough = no shuttering
Framerate change (24Hz)+ passthrough = no shuttering

It might be worth people checking there TV isn't the problem -

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/motion/24p
Again 
Tested on my Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro.
Files are on a server running windows 10, NFS.
File:
Green Knight 2021 1080p Atmos True HD soundtrack.
Reporting again micro stutter is there even at the begging of the movie... 

Will now test the ww84 file posted..
(2021-10-26, 18:17)Hitcher Wrote: Ok I've made a sample video file of WW84 for testing purposes as it has a long panning shot at the beginning.

EDIT: My findings with a Shield TV (2019) and LG OLED65CX with Real Cinema enabled.

No problem over nfs network there with the sample file

Playing back movies with dts hd files over nfs network with passthrough enabled -> no problem

but running the original 4k WW84 with truehd audio or any other movie with truehd or dolby atoms with passthrough enabled - there is shuttering..  (Running on LG OLED B7)
(By the way no problem running those same files on apple tv 4k over the same network)
(2021-10-26, 18:17)Hitcher Wrote: Ok I've made a sample video file of WW84 for testing purposes as it has a long panning shot at the beginning.

I agree with you in principle that the TV can be a problem, but then it would also be a problem with all other movies that run flawlessly unless they have a Dolby True HD Atmos soundtrack. Your sample doesn't have a True HD soundtrack, so it seems to be playing
Theater System:
ShiledTV (2015) > Lumagen Radiance Pro > JVC NX9
.............................................................. > Lexicon MC10
*This system does not support DV as it is a projector so this fix should work for my system very well.  However, my mkv of Free Guy is DV with HDR10 fallback and it is working well in HDR10 as it should.

Network:
unRaid 10Gb Ethernet > Brokade ICX6450 10Gb > 1Gb Ethernet ShieldTV (2015)

*I deleted the ShieldTV launcher and use "Launcher for XBMC" to make my ShieldTV boot directly into Kodi so that I wouldn't ever see the ShieldTV interface.  This may come into play in my later comments.

All source material I have looked at is 23.98Hz being output by Kodi/Shiled at 23.98Hz with audio passthrough enabled.  The Lumagen Radiance Pro is accepting 23.98Hz from the ShieldTV and is outputting 23.98Hz to the JVC NX9 which is properly handling 23.98Hz and showing it at an even integer multiple (191.81Hz).

It seems to me that the micro-stutters are dramatically reduced or possibly eliminated.  The Westworld UHD-BD's that I remuxed have always been challenging for Kodi on the Shield.  One particularly challenging scene is from the S02E05 mkv starting at time 5:36 where there has always been terrible micro-stutter.  Now it seems to have a bit of smooth judder (if you will).  It looks much better and might even be totally fixed, I am not sure.  Something doesn't look exactly right to me with the panning because it seems uneven, but I am very happy that it's not jumping or micro stutter anymore.  I may not have noticed the little defects if I hadn't been looking for them.  Free Guy looks way better.  I started at the beginning and the title "Free Guy" coming through the clouds seems to move at an uneven rate (judder), but it isn't jumpy anymore.  I am not sure if this is judder, or is a stylistic cinematic effect that was intended by the producer. The rest of the first seven minutes of Free Guy looked perfect to me with no micro stutter (and no Atmos 
dropouts). 

I'm going to watch more video to prove this fix to myself one way or another.  Right now I feel that it may be a dramatic improvement, but not absolutely positively a 100% complete fix.

I did, and do have some strange behavior.  It may perhaps be due to the skin I am using "My Scope Nox."
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=363595
The skin is a work in progress and does have some anomalies.

As soon as I installed the "Matrix v19.3 + micro stuttering fix (test builds v19.4)" my screen went black.  I had to go to the Android page that shows open apps to see something besides black.  I closed all the apps including Kodi.  After that "Launcher for XBMC" would come up quickly as it should and launch Kodi, but once Kodi was launched the screen was just black.  I am not sure why, but after several tries Kodi loaded and continues to load fine.  My remaining problem is that I can't play any TV Shows through the "My Scope Nox" skin.  I switched the skin to Estuary and TV Shows do play fine with this skin so I'm not sure where the issue lies with this exactly.  I don't think I tried any TV Shows after loading the "Atmos Audio Dropouts with UHD-BD" fix so it's possible that was when TV shows stopped working for me. 

With the "My Scope Nox" skin, I can play the same TV episodes by navigating to them through the file explorer and playing them from there.  So the TV episodes only don't play through the Kodi home screen TV Shows GUI with this skin.

I also have handy a 2019 ShieldTV that I will try in the theater.  The only reason I don't use it there is because for some reason, randomly my booting directly into Kodi stops working and breaks the system.

Thanks jogal for these two incredible patches and fixes.  I am simply elated!

craigr

*Judder in the true sense typically occurs when a video of one frame rate is converted to another frame rate.  One example is when 23.98Hz is converted to 59.94Hz.  Since 59.94 is not an even integer multiple of 23.98, judder will occur.  This is how we all watched TV at home until more recent days since consumer displays have started supporting even multiples of 23.98Hz.  To avoid this type of judder, you must allow Kodi to output 23.98Hz (movies and most premium TV series) and your display (TV or projector) must support 23.98Hz (or refresh at even integer multiples of 23.98Hz).
I own a video engineering firm, ergo I understand video.
Kodi Signal Chain: Nvidia ShieldTV (2019) > Lumagen Radiance PRO (video output) > JVC RS4100 Projector, Paladini DCR, 2.40AR 128" Wide STK1.3 G4
                                                                                                                           (audio output) > Lexicon MC-10 Pre/Pro > 2x Lexicon LX7 Amps
@Hitcher 
For WW84, i tested 4K HDR / 1080p BDRip or WebRip with Atmos or simple AC3.
thx for the sample.

It could be interresting to know the passthough method used between Raw and Kodi IEC, the whitelist.
It's better to uninstall the previous version to start a clean install.
If possible,  please test without custom skins or multiple addon.

I am testing on my Sony AF9 (Raw + no adjust  framerate : tv manage 3:2 pulldown with cinema mode on) and Shield 2019 pro (IEC + adjust framerate + cinema mode off, don't like soap opera effect).
Will report this weekend my test results.
(2021-10-26, 20:11)supertoto1977 Wrote: cinema mode off, don't like soap opera effect

Real Cinema on LG's isn't TruMotion which is the soap opera effect.

Your testfile works fine, but as i said before it "only" have an e-ac3 atmos soundtrack. i will upload tomorrow an testfile with an true hd atmos, an dtshd and an e-ac3 soundtrack from ww1984. There you could see, that the movie runs fine with the dtshd and the eac3 soundtrack, but not mit the truehd atmos
(2021-10-26, 19:52)craigr Wrote: Theater System:
ShiledTV (2015) > Lumagen Radiance Pro > JVC NX9
.............................................................. > Lexicon MC10
*This system does not support DV as it is a projector so this fix should work for my system very well.  However, my mkv of Free Guy is DV with HDR10 fallback and it is working well in HDR10 as it should.

Network:
unRaid 10Gb Ethernet > Brokade ICX6450 10Gb > 1Gb Ethernet ShieldTV (2015)

*I deleted the ShieldTV launcher and use "Launcher for XBMC" to make my ShieldTV boot directly into Kodi so that I wouldn't ever see the ShieldTV interface.  This may come into play in my later comments.

As soon as I installed the "Matrix v19.3 + micro stuttering fix (test builds v19.4)" my screen went black.  I had to go to the Android page that shows open apps to see something besides black.  I closed all the apps including Kodi.  After that "Launcher for XBMC" would come up quickly as it should and launch Kodi, but once Kodi was launched the screen was just black.  I am not sure why, but after several tries Kodi loaded and continues to load fine.  My remaining problem is that I can't play any TV Shows through the "My Scope Nox" skin.  I switched the skin to Estuary and TV Shows do play fine with this skin so I'm not sure where the issue lies with this exactly.  I don't think I tried any TV Shows after loading the "Atmos Audio Dropouts with UHD-BD" fix so it's possible that was when TV shows stopped working for me. 

With the "My Scope Nox" skin, I can play the same TV episodes by navigating to them through the file explorer and playing them from there.  So the TV episodes only don't play through the Kodi home screen TV Shows GUI with this skin.

I also have handy a 2019 ShieldTV that I will try in the theater.  The only reason I don't use it there is because for some reason, randomly my booting directly into Kodi stops working and breaks the system.
I installed the stutter fix on my 2019 Shield and have the same results as on the 2015; video stuttering is fixed and Atmos plays without drops. 

Interestingly, the "My Scope Nox" skin also works fine for "TV Shows."  I doubt this skin has anything to do with my "TV Shows" on my 2015 Shield.

I think these endeavors of yours jogal have been highly successful!

Thank you so much!
craigr
I own a video engineering firm, ergo I understand video.
Kodi Signal Chain: Nvidia ShieldTV (2019) > Lumagen Radiance PRO (video output) > JVC RS4100 Projector, Paladini DCR, 2.40AR 128" Wide STK1.3 G4
                                                                                                                           (audio output) > Lexicon MC-10 Pre/Pro > 2x Lexicon LX7 Amps
I have uploaded a test file.
It contains 3 sound tracks,
Track 1 Dolby True HD Atmos here is the micro-stuttering
Track 2 DTS HD here is no micro-jerking
Track 3 AC3 there is no micro-jerking here

maybe someone would like to test it again

Testfile
(2021-10-27, 16:50)Eisi2005 Wrote: maybe someone would like to test it again

I can confirm that with my setup (Shield 2019 Pro, Denon AVR-X2300W, Philips 48OLED935) @Eisi2005 's test file shows micro stuttering with the True HD audio track. With the other two tracks, the stuttering is not there.

So this seems to be a good file to test with. I would estimate about 5-10 stutters happening in this clip, not always at the same points.

(Note: I also tested on @Maven 's latest Nexus V20 build and the stutters are present with that build too).

@hoppel118 This may be an interesting file for you to test with as well...
Thanks for the test builds.

(2021-10-27, 16:50)Eisi2005 Wrote: I have uploaded a test file.
maybe someone would like to test it again

I have tested this file on both my devices.
FireTV Stick 4K (2018): No stutter regardless of the chosen audio.
FireTV Stick 4K Max (2021): No stutter regardless of the chosen audio.

The only frame skip for me always happens at the very start, and it happens to all the audios.
The 2018 model takes slightly longer for the audio to start, for what that's worth.

I left the settings to default, other than switching on refresh rate matching and whitelisting.
The audio is always downmixed to 2.0. So hopefully this is still useful. I don't have a surround sound setup.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Matrix v19.3 + micro stuttering fix + TrueHD RAW fix (test builds v19.4)0